Observation on wicking heavy oil (cinnamons)

I use paraffin container wax (4630 and J50) and I have struggled with wicking very heavy oils such as cinnamons and black raspberry vanilla. Sooner or later the flame gets very small and nearly drowns out. After testing endless type and sizes of wicks, I find the wicks designed for acidic waxes like palm, work the best. CSN wicking seems to be pretty good.

My question is, why? I know some of you have a lot of scientific knowledge so I hope you'll chime in on this. Thank you.

I don't know about the chemistry of it, but I think you've made a valid observation. Some information I once read (I think it was from a wick manufacturer) said that certain fragrance oils affect wicking in a way that's similar to the effect of free fatty acids (like stearic), requiring a stronger chemical treatment for the wick to perform well.

I've noticed this in various circumstances. It can be especially dramatic using some FOs in combination with an acidic wax. For instance, Tortoise Shell Palm is especially hard on wicks; only specially-treated wicking really performs correctly in it. When you combine it with certain FOs, even those wicks suddenly choke. Also, mottled candles can often burn badly with a combination of certain fragrances and too much stearic acid.

The truism about FOs that need to be wicked up because they're "heavy" in the sense of being viscous seems suspicious. These fragrances can burn quite fast under some circumstances. In fact, FOs in general burn furiously compared to plain wax, so how could they really hold back the burn? I think the real issue is probably the effect on the wick. The symptom, just as with acidic waxes, is a flame that fades over time. The wick deteriorates (trims away or clogs up) faster than the wax level can fall to expose new wick.

Thank you, Top. I was wondering if I was imagining things, but in test after test, the wicks designed for acidic waxes burned best with these "heavy" oils. My biggest problem is that most of these wicks come only in larger sizes and I'm working with smaller containers, jelly jars. The CSN wick is so far the only one I found with a small enough wick to work for me. Even an ECO 1 is too big. But it's ok, I only need one wick to make it work. :highfive:

Thank you, Top. I was wondering if I was imagining things, but in test after test, the wicks designed for acidic waxes burned best with these "heavy" oils. My biggest problem is that most of these wicks come only in larger sizes and I'm working with smaller containers, jelly jars. The CSN wick is so far the only one I found with a small enough wick to work for me. Even an ECO 1 is too big. But it's ok, I only need one wick to make it work. :highfive:

Have you tried the LX wicks? We have had really good luck with them not clogging or putting themselves out.

Chris & Lisa

The CSN wick is so far the only one I found with a small enough wick to work for me. Even an ECO 1 is too big. But it's ok, I only need one wick to make it work. :highfive:

CSN is a bit of a godsend. The only other wicking you can get with a really robust treatment (also from Wedo) is RRD NST2. I also have some LX NST2 that was special ordered from Wedo. However, unlike those two, CSN actually curls and trims. The size options are pretty useful too, as you found.