Shaving soap

kyme1911

If you're wanting to make it into a shaving soap to be used with a brush like the old fashioned kind, I'd add some bentonite or kaolin clay. I haven't made a shaving soap yet, but keep reading in recipes for both CP and M&P that clay is the key ingredient that enables the razor to glide across the skin. Here's a link to a recipe for M&P.

http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/soaprecipes/a/mpshavingsoap.htm

If you're wanting to make it into a shaving soap to be used with a brush like the old fashioned kind, I'd add some bentonite or kaolin clay. I haven't made a shaving soap yet, but keep reading in recipes for both CP and M&P that clay is the key ingredient that enables the razor to glide across the skin. Here's a link to a recipe for M&P.

http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/soaprecipes/a/mpshavingsoap.htm

Thanks, really like the brush pictured. Anyone know where to get a nice brush?

They are beautiful and pricey. Now to see if HB will use one. What do you think would be a good moisturizer to add to M&P. I have clay, maybe shae.

altesse_silver_barrel_shaving_brush.jpg

I forgot to add picture, the link doesn't bring up this page, but atlleast you get to the site. There are some really pricey ones, the Badger hair ones are the best.

That's what I would like to know to know, does M&P "Shaving Soap" need stuff added to it? Clay's and butters?

I've been looking all over the internet for recipes, mainly CP because that's what I want to use to make shaving soap. Of course, recipes are all different, but some ideas for additives (which can easily be incorporated into MP) are: aloe vera for its skin soothing properties, clay for its glide, cocoa butter for its creaminess, shea for its moisturizing, olive oil and apricot kernel oil for their skin loving benefits. Another idea is Castor oil. Although it has a different function in CP, it still adds a lot of benefits to M&P and helps to keep the skin moisturized. You can also add goat's milk which will make the lather a little creamier. Depending on how much additives you use, you might also want to throw in some Dr. Bronner's liquid soap to up the bubbles a bit.

I make my shaving soaps from M&P and add 2 tablespoons of castor oil and 1 tablespoon of bentonite clay per pound of soap. It has a great slip and is a huge hit with my customers. I have one husband who buys his wife a gift basket of nothing but shaving soaps for her birthday every year 'cuz she loves them so much. :cheesy2:

I bought a pound of the shaving soap base to try, but the ingredients were exactly the same as the other bases with the exception of some wheat protein added (and it was the last ingredient, so not sure how much is in there). I'm going to add my regular castor and clay to be sure.

Hope that helps!

• 2 years later...
I make my shaving soaps from M&P and add 2 tablespoons of castor oil and 1 tablespoon of bentonite clay per pound of soap. It has a great slip and is a huge hit with my customers. I have one husband who buys his wife a gift basket of nothing but shaving soaps for her birthday every year 'cuz she loves them so much. :cheesy2:

I bought a pound of the shaving soap base to try, but the ingredients were exactly the same as the other bases with the exception of some wheat protein added (and it was the last ingredient, so not sure how much is in there). I'm going to add my regular castor and clay to be sure.

Hope that helps!

Hy.

I would like to ask you something: when I used Kaolin in soap, it seems that it;s drying a lot. Did this happen with you?