Help with soot and libbey cube or any container for that matter!

I could use some feedback here if you guys don't mind. I have been testing the 7.5 oz libbey cube for a little while now. I seem to have found what wick size works for most of the fragrances I am testing in this container but now that I think I have that down I am now finding that I am getting soot on one side of my container when it gets a little below the half way mark on the container (closer to the 1/4 of the candle remaining).

My variables are that I use 6006 ( 70% paraffin and 30% soy) and then I add an extra 15% soy to this mix. I am currently testing CD wicks.

I really don't think I am overwicking this container and the soot isn't noticeable as it's burning. I am finding that a CD 10 works best on most of my fragrances with some of them needing a bigger size (like my vanillas). If I use anything smaller the flame is drowning out and I am getting a lot of wax left behind- Hang up and tunneling. The cd 10 still hangs up a little but it evens out towards the 3rd or 4th burn.

For those of you that aren't familiar with this container it's 2 3/4 across and 3 inches tall.

I am testing the WU 210 low smoke zinc wick in it right now but it will take a couple of days before I get down to the bottom to see what that does. I really hate the mushrooms on the zinc wicks which is why I would like something esle. JBN is out of the CDN's in the sizes I would need/want to test. I know someone else carries them so I may just order from somewhere else this week to see if a CDN behaves any differently. I think with this container being the size it is a cotton wick won't be rigid enough but maybe I am way off base on that.

I guess what I am asking is has anyone successfully wicked this container? Am I most likely going to get soot on this container no matter what wick I use due to it being a smaller opening it's an oxygen consumption issue down at the bottom which makes the flame get bigger and dance around more.

Up to this point I have always used wider mouthed containers. Mainly tureens.

I know the only way to be sure is to test all my options which I will do but I am trying to decide if I should give up on this container or if I should keep trying. I like the size and style of it but not used to seeing a big black soot spot on one side. I will say that I did not trim the wick for testing purposes because I like to see how it will do for those people that don't trim wicks. It seems like more don't than do. So for grins I trimmed the wicks on two of them, cleaned the soot off of the one side and re-lit. After an hour no soot yet but I have a feeling it will eventually show back up.

If you have read this far...thank you!:tiptoe:

Edited by aviator girl
typos

I'm having the same issue w/my jars. I use a 3" diameter straight sided jar (like the salsa jars) and I cannot get rid of the soot either. Everything else seems ok. I was told to try a size smaller so I'm going to order them but I'm only using a CD5 now. My supplier doesn't even carry a CD4. They have the CD5s listed as extra small votive wicks. I actually ordered them by accident and decided to give them a try. I know how frustrated you probably are! Me too! :confused:

Good Luck, let us know what you figure out!

According to The National Candle Association:

http://www.candles.org/about_faq.html

A well-made candle will create virtually no smoke when burning properly. However, if the wick becomes too long, or an air current disturbs the flame's teardrop shape, small amounts of unburned carbon particles (soot) will escape from the flame as a visible wisp of smoke. Any candle will soot if the flame is disturbed.

To avoid this, always trim the wick to ¼ inch before every use and be sure to place candles away from drafts, vents or air currents. If a candle continually flickers or smokes, it is not burning properly and should be extinguished. Allow the candle to cool, trim the wick, make sure the area is draft free, then re-light.

The oils found in certain fragrances may slightly increase the small amount of soot produced by a candle, but wick length and flame disturbance are the primary factors that impact sooting in a properly-formulated candle.

They address the topic again in the wick section (under elements of a candle):

The purpose of a wick is to deliver fuel (wax) to the flame. Acting like a fuel pump, the wick draws the liquefied wax up into the flame to burn. Different wick sizes allow for different amounts of fuel to be drawn into the flame. Too much fuel and the flame will flare and soot; too little fuel and the flame will sputter out.

If you go solely on this information, it sounds like you may need to keep testing different wicks & sizes. I don't know the answer, but maybe you can find something more helpful if you dig around their site.

HTH - Susan.

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't trim the wicks until the end just to see how they would do if not trimmed by customers. I have been out of town for a couple of days but will keep trying. I have the zinc wick in the other cube that I'll continue to burn tomorrow to see how that does.

Basically it comes down to proper wick care while burning. As long as you have the proper wick for your application then just a little attention to the wick while burning and you should be good to go. I can burn one of my candles all the way down to the bottom with no soot as long as I keep wicks trimmed and away from drafts.

I have read some post on here that a few people can get a candle to burn clean all the way with no attention to the wick. Wish I could do that, but so far I have not been able to...lol...just keep testing and trimming the wick and you should get that issued resolved. :cheesy2: