tea lights

Boy, I haven't been here in awhile. Lots of new names. Haven't made any candles in awhile either. Make lots of tarts though. Just a couple of questions..... Does anyone make their own tea lights. Is there a certain kind of wax to use. I've never made them before...I've always just bought them. I use alot of them in my tart burners so I'd like to make my own. is there a HPT wick I could use. I have 2 two presto pots with wax in them...one is labeled with the type of wax, the other is not ......is there any way to tell what type of wax it is. OK, that's more than a couple of questions. Hope someone can help.

OK, I found some of the answers to some questions doing a search. yeah, I should of done that first. But I still don't know how to figure out what type of wax is in the other presto pot

Edited by Auntie S
Adding more text

I've made them with just about every kind of wax, and use the smallest wick I have (LX-8 or CSN-5). They've all worked well enough, except the IGI 4630, which would need a smaller wick.

Also had a bag of commercial tealights of the pressed kind where the cup, wax, and wick are all easily taken apart. I'd take the wax from a few and make votives, which left cups and wicks for my "excess wax" tealights. I've never set out to make tealights, but often have just that much left in the pour pot.

Soy has a slight odor to it that paraffin doesn't have - kinda "creamy" smelling to me (some folks with more sensitive noses think it smells icky) - and it's very white and opaque, if that helps. It's not greasy-feeling on the skin like paraffin - more like lotion. It usually melts easily when rubbed in your palms.

I dunno what parasoy is like, so can't help there...

If you melt a little in the microwave and pour it into a metal votive cup, you should be able to tell if it's container wax because it'll stick. If it drops right out, it's probably pillar/votive blend. HTH :)

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all your replies

Stella, I'm gonna try your idea....pouring a little bit into a tealight cup and see what falls out and which one sticks.

Thanks for all your replies

Stella, I'm gonna try your idea....pouring a little bit into a votive cup and see which one comes out easily, and which one sticks.

Sorry for posting twice. anyone know how to delete the first post