Does anyone use NG Wow Wax? Wick isssue...

I've been using NG Wow Wax since just after Christmas. My husband purchased a case of it and some wicks for me for Christmas. I had both items in my wishlist but hadn't checked to see what size wicks I actually needed for my jars. I just put the CD wicks on my wishlist (CDs are what NG cust. ser. recommeded) so I would remember the brand. When he placed the order, it defaulted to the CD-5s. By the NG wick recommendations these are way too small for my container (They are for votives and under 2"). I went ahead and tried them in my candles b/c I make them for my personal use and was too excited to order new onesand have to wait for them! IMO, they do not burn perfectly but not too bad either. I have purchased candles that burn much worse than the way these burn! My jars are straight-sided 3" in diameter. With these wicks, I do get a little wax left on the jar. It's only a little bit and it doesn't really bother me all that much. I also get some soot build-up, mainly at the very top of the jar. If I go up to the recommended size for the wicks wouldn't the soot get worse? I know that it would probably correct the little bit of wax left but I would rather get rid of the soot than the wax.

Does all Paraffin wax leave a little soot or is it possible to eliminate it completely? I think that evey commercial brand candle I've purchased has left soot so maybe this is 1 of the reasons people use Soy? I LOVE the scent throw I get from the WOW Wax. It is incredibly strong and I'll just deal w/the soot rather than switching my wax. Here's how I make my candles...

Heat 1lb. NG Wow Wax to 190

Add a 1-3 drops of liquid dye, stir for 2 minutes

Let wax cool to about 170-180 add 1oz. NG (usually) FO

Stir for about 2-3 minutes

Pour into jars (CD5 wicks from NG)

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated! I know I'm gonna get alot of test, test, test respones but I was hoping maybe someone that used the wax would know whether they had to wick down for it as well. Thanks in advance!

I've tried WOW wax before and I wasn't too thrilled with it, but that's me. I don't know if this helps, but I tried HTP wicks in that wax.

I'm having the exact same problem with soot in 4627. Whereas some people have told me all paraffin will soot to some degree, others are telling me that's a huge no no if it's not a power burn. So I think it might be a personal thing. I think NO soot is obviously desirable, but with straight paraffin I haven't been able to acheive that yet.

The only way to know (and I know you are going to hate this) is to try the bigger wick and see if the soot gets worse. If it makes you feel any better, when I tested (different wax though) with an HTP 104 and HTP 105, the 104 actually caused MORE soot. Go figure, you'd really think the opposite, but it doesn't seem to ALWAYS work like that.

I'm also using 16oz jelly jars and I know the shoulder catches a whole lot of soot. So it's extra special annoying for me! LOL

As far as NG's recommendations for wicks, I've used a couple of their waxes and I have ALWAYS found their wick recommendations to be too small.

Thanks so much! At least I know I'm not alone. I was beginning to think that no one had ever tried that wax. Other than the little sooting I really like it. I haven't tried a FO yet that doesn't have great HT in it. I emailed NG and they said that really the only way to eliminate soot altogether is to switch to Soy but then in many cases you eliminate the HT as well! (from my personal experiences trying a couple different kinds of soy) I don't think I've ever had a paraffin candle that was totally soot free so maybe it's not realistic to try to obtain that standard. I had some cotton core wicks that I purchased for a different wax that I tried yesterday. So far they haven't given me the soot but the candle hasn't burned even halfway down yet and it seems to be that last 1/3 of the candle that gets it sooting. When burning a candle I don't follow the "rules" which may also contribute to the sooting. I would have to doubt that most consumers follow them though. It's not unusual for me to light a candle and leave it burning for most if not all day long. I try to remember to blow it and trim the wick periodically but that doesn't always happen. I guess since I make these for myself I'll deal w/a little soot. Next time I place an order I'll purchase a sampler pack of wicks to play with too. Thanks for the feedback!

Not quite sure what the different characteristics of CD, HTP, RRD, and ECO wicks are, but having tried all but the RRD, I can say that the ECO wicks had the tightest curling effect. If I didn't have mushrooms, I'd think they'd keep a very even flame height. I tried them in GB464 so not sure if that would make them curl more, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

For burning commercial jars, I always got less soot if I used one of those "candle cappers" on top. It makes the flame not dance around so much, especially on the 2nd half of the burn, and I think a lot of soot is thrown out when the flame moves around too much.

For burning commercial jars, I always got less soot if I used one of those "candle cappers" on top. It makes the flame not dance around so much, especially on the 2nd half of the burn, and I think a lot of soot is thrown out when the flame moves around too much.

What is a "candle capper"?? :undecided