Castor Oil Substitute?

elliebelle

I have a great shampoo bar recipe using melt and pour soap but calls for Castor Oil. I do not have any on hand and would like to know if anything can be substituted for the Castor Oil?

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients

1 lb. opaque melt and pour soap base, any kind

1 tsp. almond oil

4 tsp. shea butter melted

1 1/2 tsp. castor oil

1 oz. beezwax

1 1/2 oz. cocoa butter fragrance oil color

any additional additives you want

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

castor is very thick (viscous) and adds a ton of lather, or bubbles, to any soap recipe. I really wouldnt try to sub it, because its so easily obtained! If you dont want to wait for an order, you can pick it up at most grocery stores or health food stores.

I really cant even think what oils would be a proper sub for it.. it is so unique in its viscosity and properties.

Before I placed a large order for Castor, I used to buy it in 1lb bottles from Good Earth (our local health food store) and it was only 4.99.

Edited by LuminousBoutique

I've never heard of any sub for it either. Castor oil is the only souce I know of that has the unsat. fatty acid Ricinoleic in it. It will help increase bubbles in your soap but it is also great for upping the conditioning properties as well. Castor oil is very unique when compared to other oils.

Edited by Meridith