Most likely a simple question

This will probably be my last post to this thread, as my experiments have gone to larger mottled candles and I'll put results and photos here:

3-Wick 4" Pillars

This is one thing I don't get specific about, but I'll say that in my newest designs I rely heavily on fragrance selection in order to keep the FO addition rate down.

Not trying to get you to reveal your trade secrets, just wanted to get a sense of what's a realistic goal. If you never got 4% to work, I'd save myself time trying. However, moot question by the next day, as both the 3% 343 and the 5% stearic 2" pillars are holding 5% FO well enough. You get a film on your fingers touching the top 1/2" or so after they've been lit, but, while not ideal, I wouldn't call that a problem.

The 2% 343 is still seeping, so I have to say that I disagree with the mfgr recommendations (max 1%), at least in 1274.

Mottling helps considerably in preventing oil migration, so having only a partially mottled effect...

I can see how that would make strong FOs a high priority. I'm certainly looking for them as I can't think of any place I'd prefer to have to use more FO. Hard to find much concrete information on fragrances, though. I assume that's because they behave so differently in each wax.

It's probably best to choose the lowest stearic addition rate that does the job for you. There's no use in making the wax harder to burn or more opaque than it needs to be.

Agreed. No stearic and 3xLX-10 in the 4" didn't breach the sides, but I'd be happy to have smaller flames. 3 hours into the same design with 3% stearic and I have 1/4"+ walls and 1/2" flames. They're a bit small land less pretty looking, but the burn so far is about right. Might be better for fragrance throw? The bayberry is certainly coming out of it nicely. I'm hoping the 2% stearic burns "just right", but anything between the two is good enough.

Hmmm, can I relate to that? I'm totally certain that I've made more mottled pillar testers...

Didn't know those were your favorites, but I'm with ya, they're mine. Buying a couple on clearance at BB&B had something to do with getting me interested in making my own. They were under $10 3x6" and had a unique feature - a copper (metal) bottom permanently attached to the candle.

1274 seems to be a good wax for the mottling effect I like. Better than 1343 for a full mottle. Shouldn't be too many more testers before I'm satisfied with the result, at least for a couple of scents.

Not trying to get you to reveal your trade secrets, just wanted to get a sense of what's a realistic goal. If you never got 4% to work, I'd save myself time trying...

Thing is, there's no real definition of what works. You have to define that for yourself. The industry considers 4-5% fragrance oil pretty much the maximum, but whether you use those levels depends on your design objectives. A realistic goal is defined by how you expect the candle to perform and under what circumstances.

When a candle is fully mottled and still gets oily on the outside surface while burning, as you describe, it's pretty much maxxed out. It might be good for your purposes, but those purposes probably don't involve freely shipping it in the summertime. The packaging could be soaked with FO and dye by the time it arrives at the destination. If you put it near a sunny window in warm weather, you may find it develops beads of sweat all up and down the face of the candle, or maybe even drips down the surface.

In contrast, you can put some upscale commercial mottles right on the windowsill in the summer and they'll stay dry.

The industry considers 4-5% fragrance oil pretty much the maximum

I was trying to determine if that was a reasonable maximum, or if the ad-copy for 343 was right and it's possible to make 7-8% mottled pillars. Sounds like, unequivocally, that's too much.

...you can put some upscale commercial mottles right on the windowsill in the summer and they'll stay dry.

The commercial mottles I mentioned (copper bases) don't throw much scent, and get oily on the surface while burning. Others may stay dry, but commercial pillars of any type rarely seem to be that strongly scented.

I'm sure there are some brands that are exceptionally good, but I also think I can easily work in the 2-3% FO range and get "industry normal" or better strength candles. And...I think I'll be happier if I don't try to outdo the best, at least so long as I'm working at a loss on a workbench. Give me time, money, and industrial process controls, though, and I'd be game ;)