wick went out

Hi-

I have been making soy container candles and started playing with beeswax. The problem is when I first light some of the beeswax the wick will light and than go out before it even hits the wax. That has happened on 2 different sizes of beeswax candles. On both I cut the wax on top and dug around the wick and relight and they burn fine. Am I stretching my wick too tight in the mold? Should I prime my wicks? The wick I'm using is 2/0. Thanks for any help.

Are you trimming the wick to about a 1/4"? I make container beeswax candles in Ball jelly jars that are 2.5" dia using either #2 or #3 square braided wicks. I have tried other wicks, but found they did not burn well and several went out within a minute of lighting the wick. I think it is due to the wicks inability to draw the melted wax effeciently.

The only thing I can think of in your case was that when you lit the candle it was not hot enough to start the wax to melt and be drawn up to feed the flame. Next time try lighting the wick at the base where it meets with the wax and see if that makes a difference. If so, probably best if you primed the wick especially if you are making them to sell.