Foaming Bath Butter Questions

Butterscotch

I've bought foaming bath butter products on etsy several times, but I've decided to try and make my own. I have a couple of questions.

1. I've received both firm and fluffy products before. I followed the standard directions - melted, added the sweet almond oil and fragrance while whipping, and this morning it seems more on the firm side. Did I whip too long or not enough? It's not a bad product, just not as fluffy as it could be.

2. If you make scents in a row (with intentions of selling it) do you go ahead and fill your jars then, or wait for orders? I read on a forum somewhere that a person stored them in pastry bags until she got orders. Is there an advantage to this?

3. After I make it, how long can I consider it fresh enough that I'd want to sell it - i.e still a good strong scent and nice texture.

4. Do I need a browning neutralizer for vanilla scents? I wasn't sure if this type of product is affected by that or not.

5. What is your preferred method of filling jars?

Oooh, I had more questions than I thought. Sorry! Hopefully soon I'll be able to answer questions also. :)

Jen

1. The texture depends on how much liquid (in this case, oils) you add. You can add more oils and re-whip it.

2. Pastry bags (or ziplocs work just fine) makes it easier to pipe out once the product has set. If you offer custom scenting (as opposed to 4 or 5 scents), you might find it easier to scent as the orders come in. It's all personal preference, though.

3. I don't like to have product sitting on the shelves, so I always make my products as the orders come in. But if you plan on making things ahead of time, I'd say no more than 3-6 months. Keep in mind that the time that you have the FBB is also a factor in the "freshness" of the product.

4. Browning occurs due to the fragrance, not the type of product. So if your fragrance contains vanilla, it will discolor.

5. I use wide mouth jars, so I just use a spatula and scoop into the jar after I finish whipping.

Thanks! I appreciate it. :)

I have one more question - have you put it more than the 2 ounces of oil per pound in yours? I thought I might try 3 ounces and see if that makes a difference.

Oh I lied, I have another question. :cheesy2: If you scent yours as the order comes in, do you use a mixer?

What I do is make them as the order comes in also. Usually it is more than one at a time, so what I do is make a batch in my kitchen aid mixer, it tends to get the fluffiest whip with the kitchen aid. But you have to have at least 24 oz in the bowl or it will not whip well. :angry2:

since the Whip atachment does not touch the bottom of the large bowl.

I then remove what I need for one 8 oz put it into a pyrex measuring cup, then I add wiltons color with a toothpick, then add fragrance and whip again with a regular mixer.

This works the best for me, I've tried premaking but it ends up deflating or getting to hard, I've tried only using a hand held mixer but it does not get as fluffy.

If anyone has a better technique I'd love to hear, Everyone loves these but I really dislike making them this way.

Thanks! I appreciate it. :)

I have one more question - have you put it more than the 2 ounces of oil per pound in yours? I thought I might try 3 ounces and see if that makes a difference.

Oh I lied, I have another question. :cheesy2: If you scent yours as the order comes in, do you use a mixer?

I don't find the amount of oil makes a big difference in the fluffiness personally, it depends on the base you are using and the machine you are using to whip. I personally prefer WSP Foaming Bath Whip and using a Kitchen Aid or Standing Mixer.

If you put too much oil it can loose fluffyness, this happend to me once, also you will loose the foaming action the more oil you add.

I have tried the stick blender in the pyrex jar but I found it deflated it some as it comes out of my stand mixer very fluffy the way I like it.

I whip it on the highest setting until its really fluffy it doesn't take that long.

Another way to do it, is to take it out of the stand mixer add it to a measuring cup, then add your scent and color, then simply blend with a spoon, sometimes it doesn't diflate and works for me, while other times

I use a regular mixer with only 1 blade attached to do the mixing.

You can try the stick blender but I found it to sort of deflate the fluffyness a bit, its still nice but I like it really fluffy. Like you said I think its too powerful and deflates the fluffieness.

I would try simply blending with a spoon or using a regular mixer with only one blade.

Let me know how it goes!