Grubby experts ... please help!

kate

1stgrubby.jpg

Don't laugh (ok, go ahead, I know its bad!) ... this is my first attempt at a grubby (I ran out of wax before it was completely finished and I was too frustrated to mix more). What the heck do you do so pieces of it don't fall off every time it is moved?

I had a woman approach me about supplying these when she saw my photo candles on display at a craft show. She wants the grubby to have cutouts so she can put votives inside, similar to the electric grubby, but the shell should not be scented. I mixed the wax by hand because I wasn't willing to sacrifice my mixer, but I think I'll need to find a cheap one if I'm going to do more of these.

I used my standard HP wax for the core and candlewic 6228 wax to do the grubby part. I also have 4045H I'm going to try - anyone have experience with either of these and have an opinion about which one works better?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Kate

Thanks for the tip dragontears, I'll try a little warmer next time - overall it's sticking, just bits and pieces are falling off now.

And thanks for the links dayglow. I see candlewic suggests using their 4045H wax. I never even thought to look at their site for info, duh! I searched here and the archives and found lots of great pics, but not too many people seem to talk about the technique or wax choice.

To keep the little pieces from falling off you need to either dip it in hot wax or pour it over. This "sets" the wax and no clumpies fall off. Not sure how you would do it with the cut outs though unless you do that while the wax is still warm and then do the cut out. The more grubbies you do, the faster you will get. I hand grubby all mine and believe me, you do get better lol. Looks great for a first time!!