Fake Wholesale Inquiries

botanica

Within the past year, I've gotten a few wholesale inquiries that I believe are fake--they're just fishing for my pricing. How do you handle this? I've gotten these requests for my wholesale catalogue from my website and over the phone. I don't want to turn down legitimate business, but I also don't want to give away info to copycats either.

When I did wholesale, I only sold to businesses. I did not share my wholesale information with them until they had supplied a copy of their business license and tax id. For individuals that wanted wholesale pricing, they were told that discounts would be given based on purchasing X amount of dollars. It rapidly cut out completely those who just wanted to phish for my policies.:tiptoe:

When I did wholesale, I only sold to businesses. I did not share my wholesale information with them until they had supplied a copy of their business license and tax id. For individuals that wanted wholesale pricing, they were told that discounts would be given based on purchasing X amount of dollars. It rapidly cut out completely those who just wanted to phish for my policies.:tiptoe:

Yes, that's my policy. I expect all the business info, including their tax i.d. #. I still believe that I'm getting copycat candlemakers who want to maybe compare their own pricing/product line. I like wholesale a lot, and have had good luck with it. I want to continue doing this, but need to develop a strategy to deal with this situation.

As long as it is not money out of your pocket then I wouldn't worry about it. They can look all they want at your products and pricing. No matter what measures you take people can find a way around getting the info they want anyway. gmail accounts, fake business names and tax id's etc.

As long as you are not out samples or printed material let them have at it.

I can't stand people like that but what can you do?

Sell your catalog to them, and offer credit for the cost of the catalog on their first order, but be sure to specify what your minimum order is.

Some supplier websites require a tax id and a telephone number and don't provide any information but give a message indicating that they will be in touch soon with information about wholesale opportunities.

Personally it doesn't bother me that anyone else knows my wholesale pricing or the look of my products. You can pretty much guess my wholesale pricing by looking at my retail prices and clearly see the look by going to my website. I don't care if someone copy's the look, it's the scent, fair pricing and customer service that really matter. The only thing that bothers me is taking the time out to create a wholesale account and email them back etc. and they don't order. If you make it too difficult to place a wholesale order then they won't. I know for myself if I have to go to the trouble of faxing stuff etc. I would just find it somewhere else that didn't require it. You can kind of get the feel from someone if they're just fishing for info or they're serious. Don't leave a last name with their info, no message with inquiry etc. That's just me. You'll never get around the fake inquiry's without losing business along the way.