another question???

hello again.....i was just wondering....do you test every single batch of candles you make ???? or do you find something that works such as wax,wick,jar,scent,dye and produce produce and produce without testing again if you make it the same every time????or pour and add as close as possible to same temp every time.... new to making candles and was just wondering???? thank you

Once you get everything just like you want it, and you've got the perfect formula worked out, in theory you should never have to test again.

As usual, the theory is wrong.

Sometimes the wax changes or the FO is reformulated or some such. So you have to test every so often. Most people will do that just burning a few candles for their own use, though.

Of course, any time you change your formula, you need to test everything all over again.

It's also a good idea to test your work at different times of the year. As there can be changes due to temperature and humidity and such, on occasion.

Sometimes the wind blowing from the north, rather than the south will change something... at least it seems that way, sometimes. LOL

thank you very much for your response.....and all others to come.....i know from research to test test test.....but if i keep it the same or close to i ust thought i didnt have to test every batch ....(i only make 2 pounds at a time)thats alot of candles to test!!!! i just make as a hobby for family and friends....they just pay a lil extra than cost as of now......but i love making....:smiley2:

The problem with your theory comes when you say the words "or close to".

If you're keeping the formula EXACTLY the same, you could get by with spot checking them.

As I said, most folks will do that just burning their own candles.

If you change anything, you need to re-test. Sometimes a small change will make a big difference.

Even if you've been doing this for years, you can get a totally unexpected result from a small change.

From what I've learned on this board, most of the professionals order wax by the pallet and retest everything once they've ordered a new pallet. This becomes especially important if you're working with soy, as soy performance can vary greatly from crop to crop.

HTH

You can kind of tell by your eye and first pour. If color and scent is off...something is wrong. I've gotten wax in thats missing additives or contains too much adidtives. i dont test too often, only when I feel I need to, If i were to test every batch of wax i would never get anything made.

Serioulsy - a pallet of wax - I don't think I'll ever need that much at one time. I just started last month and haven't sold a thing yet - I'm giving plenty away to testers who are actually providing feedback. I don't know if I'll ever sell any - I think it'll be a great winter hobby that I can use as gifts for family and friends. And I enjoy making the candles and tarts.

BTW - this board is awesome for newbies like me. Thanks for sharing.

Serioulsy - a pallet of wax - I don't think I'll ever need that much at one time. I just started last month and haven't sold a thing yet - I'm giving plenty away to testers who are actually providing feedback. I don't know if I'll ever sell any - I think it'll be a great winter hobby that I can use as gifts for family and friends. And I enjoy making the candles and tarts.

BTW - this board is awesome for newbies like me. Thanks for sharing.

Then you would a least want to order by the case. It will last a long time and you will know what you have. It takes up very little room. I order by the case as I only make/sell/give in the fall and winter. For tarts.....a ten lb bag should do.

Edited by Dixie
tarts