OK i am stumped..

latch

I just dont know what to do from here... i have been using htp wicks.. i have come across some scents that i just cannot wick with htps but zinc core works! but i advertise as 100% cotton wicks not sure what to do.. i really dont like the mushrooming.. but talking to so many people it seems they really dont care... just as long as it smells good, Tyler is a top name company and they use zinc core and mushroom like crazy... they call it a fragrance mushroom!! anyway... does anyone use both zinc and cotton or should i just not carry certanin scents i cannot wick with cotton? any opinions would be appreciated.

thank you

I think you will discover that you will need multiple wicks to achieve the results you want. I started out with zinc, and am now using HTP. There are still a couple of scents that I need the zinc on... it seems that the HTP is just too hot.. but man I like the melt pool that I get with em.. anyway.. just wanted to add my 2 cents worth

If you advertise 100% cotton the Zinc wouldn't be nice to through in there. (I personally wouldn't ad. that way I like diff. wicks for some fo's.):rolleyes2 But if your adv. is already in place and don't want to change you may not be able to carry those scents. I'm sure you want all your candles to have that burn that you've perfected. jmo

If you don't want to change your advertising, I would suggest trying other cotton wicks. I'm sure you'd be able to find another type of cotton wick that would work. There are LX, RRD, CD's (but they are actually the same as HTP's, they just use different numbers for sizing), flat braid, etc. Not sure if you want to buy a whole bunch of new wicks or not but at least you know there are options out there for you.

i have lx cd c's all burn about the same as htp. my brochure and website is only in the making.. so my advertisement is not really set in stone. I am just not sure what i will do at this point. the fos that i cannot wick with cotton or some very frequently requested scents.. if anyone has had sucess wicking blackberry sage, bayberry, pathchouli, with cotton wicks please let me know, should i try different companies? i have tried 2 comp. of each except bayberry?? any help would be appr.

thanks

What type of wax are you using? I use a pre-blend & though zincs do work better in some FO's, someone suggested LX's and when I tested them they were real close. You haven't mentioned what type of problem you are having...but I'll assume from some of your post that it's mushrooming. Try cutting back a little on your FO% and it could help with sooting & mushrooming.

i use 1.5 per pound... that is my next step is to go down of the fo. i am double wicking 12 oz tureens. i have use 41, all the way up to 104 htp, the 104 has a huge flame at beginning then does ok but dont like the huge torch at the first 20 min of burn...

I'd reduce the amount of FO like you said. I don't know the diameter of the 12 oz. tureen but I know the shape of them and think they are about 3" at the opening and then go wider in the middle. Double wicking with two 104's seems too big to me. I know you started out with the 41's and they were too small but if you're reducing the amount of FO to say...1 oz, you may be able to go up a size or two from there. I use HTP wicks myself but I only have 31's, 41's, 104's, 105's and 1212's. If I double wick a 3.5" container, I usually use 2 LX-12's or 14's depending on the scent used. Good luck and try not to pull all of your hair out.;)

yes they are about 3.5 inches, i think i will try lx and cut down to 1 oz will let you know how it goes, thanks for the support, if i wouldnt have this board i would have to go to a shrink and get help for this wicking obsession..

just updating... i tried cutting back fo, 2 diff size LX did not work

....then i did it. i tried zinc! man i cannot believe, on my first try, beautiful, burn, great mp after 3hrs!! I wish i would have tried this 90ozs and 10 differentwicks ago!!