Felted Soap Question

JacquiO

I've been watching some youtube videos on how to make felted soaps and I thought this would be great way of salvaging some fugly soaps.

My question is does anyone know a good supplier for the dyed wool needed to do this?

In case you don't know what I'm talking about here's some nice pics from an artfire crafter: http://www.artfire.com/modules.php?name=Shop&op=listing&product_id=111733

I also wanted to mention that we do not have any decent yarn stores in our area. My mom crochets big time and she has to order the majority of her yarns online. I have to see who she uses maybe I can hitch some roving onto one of her orders.

I found this one site that had some pretty merino roving for $2.79 an ounce. Is that a decent price? Does anyone know of any other online sources I could use?

http://www.voguefabricsstore.com/store/catalog/Wool-Roving-and-Wool-Felting-Supplies-orderby0-p-1-c-573.html

Edited by JacquiO

I have made quite a few felted soaps, they are fun and easy. I ordered roving online, I'll have to go back and check my sources. It is usually more expensive in a yarn store. If you google 'wool roving' you will find many sources, also on ebay. You want Merino or Corriedale wool. The price will range from about 1.50 - 3.00 an ounce. I believe you can do about 4 soaps from one ounce, if I'm remembering right.

ok I don't have the exact websites, but here are some sources:

Homestead weaver

Marrhaven

Peace fleece

Mielkes

Prarie fiber homestead

Deer run sheep farm

Paradise fibers

Edited by tamtam

I just bought some white roving from a gal up the street who raises sheep. Are there any sheep farms in your area?

I have 5 gals coming over today to help wrap soap. I've been making them for years and they are labor intensive! I can only do 6 an hour, myself.

The price you quoted per ounce is good.

I order mine locally in larger quantities so I get a really good deal on it. do you live in an area where you might be able to purchase it locally?

Some animal fibers are better to felt with than others but wool is the best. I also use an alpaca/wool blend fiber roving for my felted soaps. I don't use wool batting and find that the roving works well for me.