Wick Help

Might be the angle of the photo, but to me, it looks like the top candle burned off center whereas the bottom one had a more centered melt pool. When I am testing big candles, I think it's important to keep the melt pool centered. I turn the candles every 20 minutes or so or poke the base of the wick if I see it's burning off center.

Glad you had already poured the candles a few days prior. Whether the wick has a sustainer base or not isn't a big issue, but if you are trying to get accurate results, ya can't pull a wick and poke in another one. The melt pool will already be established, the candle will already have burned down in the container, etc. In other words, once a test has started with one wick, you don't save anything by pulling the wick & attempting to continue testing with another. This CAN be done successfully with pillars because you can relevel the top of the candle as if it were brand new, but it isn't that way with containers.

That burgundy colored melt pool reminds me of fall. I'm about done with this summer thing... :)

Might be the angle of the photo, but to me, it looks like the top candle burned off center whereas the bottom one had a more centered melt pool. When I am testing big candles, I think it's important to keep the melt pool centered. I turn the candles every 20 minutes or so or poke the base of the wick if I see it's burning off center.

The top candle did look like that. I wanted to turn it and stuff but I didn't touch it. I figured my customers won't be turning them . it appeared the wick was nice and centered. I lost the wick in the small 10 oz. Only because it was not secured. but that one was burning nice .The two remaining ( 16 oz and 24)have a lot of wax on the side and I am on my third burn.I started that at 8:30.

I took theses phots as soon as I lit them for the 3rd burn. Forgot to do it before.

If this wick the CDN 22 doesn't work I can't think of anything else.

Once again thanks for your help Oh Queen of candle making . :cheesy2:

How long you been doing this ? You have it so together

post-11200-139458457003_thumb.jpg

post-11200-139458457005_thumb.jpg

how far into the jar is it? That does seem like a lot of hang up on the sides for it to catch up the last half of the jar. You may just want to give in a double wick unless there is a larger size wick that you can get.

I think i remember reading that this is a CDN 22? The wick it chart says they go up to 30, but my quick search on the internet didn't find a place that sold higher than the 22's. :sad2:

My instint is to just keep going and see if it catches up, but I'm also doubting it will do it. I am thinking to throw in the towel and double wick.

I figured my customers won't be turning them

Don't confuse what you are doing now in this test with the abuse test. You want a nice, even burn so that you can really dial in that wick. The candles look better to me today. If the candle makes a full melt pool on the first burn, quite often, it'll be too hot by the time it gets down to the middle of the candle and below. So, keep on keepin' on & we'll see how things go. :)

:sad2: YUK. Would you have a starting point for me with the CDNs. When I douple the HTp 105 they tend to drown out at the bottom half and the HTP 126 TOO HOT. The cotten wick huge mushroom . I wonder where we could get the larger CDNs without buying a zillion. Though Richard uses the CDN 22 with luck . :confused: I don't know ......

Candles change as they burn down because the environment changes further down in the container. The O2 level isn't the same; the air currents are not the same, the temp is not the same, etc. This is why you really have to patiently and carefully conduct each test period with accuracy and record your observations so that when you finally get to the bottom, you can review what happened with your candle from start to finish. :)

testing is going terrible.... but here's another question ... Going by what you say above. Do you think that the burn rate increase or decreases towrads the end?

Back to testing ...

I see so many candle makers selling this size jar .I want to know why it isn't working for me:( Gee I sound like a two year old

I find in general that big candles kinda burn more slowly as they progress... slowly but surely. When you say "terrible," what does that mean? Are you experiencing a lot of hangup on the sides? Sooting? Wick drowning? The few big ones I have made seemed to catch up on the sides pretty far down in the container...

I see so many candle makers selling this size jar .I want to know why it isn't working for me:( Gee I sound like a two year old

*chuckle* Testing IS tedious, especially with big candles because it takes forever to burn them all the way down. Have patience, grasshopper! ;) If it starts driving you TOO nutz, go pour something else and get back to the big 'un in a couple of days. It'll still be there! :)

I am idly wondering if a CDN 20 might have treated you better. It may seem nutz to wick down one when the wick drowned out at the end, but that may have had to do with the larger wick not having enough oxygen to burn efficiently at the bottom - a slightly smaller wick might work better.

I am also concerned that 1.5 oz. of FO may have contributed to your difficulty. I hope that once your frustration levels off, you'll give the single wicking another try. :)

I have a lot to think about. All your advice is in my head . I want to get these jars wicked for my fall show. I have 4 a year.

The funny thing is another friend was over sat and she saw the mess in my work room. She said she had no trouble with the large jars and loved them . everything she had for spring and summer worked well. her guests loved them as well. Burned so clean so fragrant blah blah blah.She said I was crazy to be worried. Not what I was noticing towards the end of the jars. As I said earlier another person saw what I saw. Go figure. They were wicked with two HTP 105 s all but sex on the beach , peach and french vanilla.

I think I said this already ( forgive me if I have) I am now testing two cd10s

Once I get these jars down and fall show going. I really want to get my FO down. That makes me crazy . reading that everyone else uses so much less.

I have a number of cases of 4 inch, 8 oz apothecary jars that are just sitting in the shop. I use a 70/30 veggie wax and use a cd 22 in that container. The flame tends to be really high and hot unless you trim the wick really low. They work and they look nice but I just don't like the large flame and I hate double wicking, because customers believe the candles burn quicker. I had to switch from a tumbler to a salsa jar because of the lack of a good lid. My customers love the new jar and its easy to wick. Customers just won't buy a jelly jar and I only sell those to some private label customers. I don't know what jars you were using but it sounds like it would be less hassle to just locate them from another source and pay the shipping. HTH.

I have a number of cases of 4 inch, 8 oz apothecary jars that are just sitting in the shop. I use a 70/30 veggie wax and use a cd 22 in that container. The flame tends to be really high and hot unless you trim the wick really low. They work and they look nice but I just don't like the large flame and I hate double wicking, because customers believe the candles burn quicker. I had to switch from a tumbler to a salsa jar because of the lack of a good lid. My customers love the new jar and its easy to wick. Customers just won't buy a jelly jar and I only sell those to some private label customers. I don't know what jars you were using but it sounds like it would be less hassle to just locate them from another source and pay the shipping. HTH.

I was using the 16 oz and 9 oz melting pot from the jar store. No one has them anymore. The 4 inch jars apothacary and elevation do make it tough but I have to have something other then my mason jelly and flowerpot. Also the the 4 inch is wonderful witht he shades .

Did you get a large mushroom with the 22 . I got that at the begining and then at the bottom of the 24 oz it died out

I did have a great line going. I have flower pots, jj, mason jars , I had melting pot 9 oz and 16 oz. i dipp bears dogs lions and cat. Bunnies in the spring and snowmen ornament and snowmen. This elevation jar is my nighmare

gotta try new things right?

Edited by lrbd

Hi just wanted to update.

Two CDN 10 in the 16 oz elevation jar seem to be doing well. clean jar buuuut... it is only 1/3 of the way burned. Might get too hot down lower in the jar. This time I tested in the 16 oz instead of the 24 just because it takes too long . Of course if I get it right I will try the 24 oz. I really want to try the CDN 20 like Stella advised with one of my scents that I can use only 1 oz of FO. Someone else had said I should try two eco 12s. I have never used that wick and I have so many wicks I would like to use what I have if at all possible.once again thanks for all the help.