Chunkie votives ?

ok nevermind i did some more googling and found some. but 1 says to fill your mold 3/4 full with chunks then pour the overfill, the other one says to fill your mold 1/2-3/4 full with the overfill then drop your chunks into it when it starts forming a skin.

what wax do you use ?

for now i am going to try naturewax v-1, just to start to see if votives is something i want to do.. i am lost on the wicking though i am assuming because it is soy i will need a larger wick than with paraffin... but i am sure getting excited. but i am reading alot about cracking with this wax so i am hoping i can figure it out without having that issue.

MiniB, nice votives, love the colors! I too fill my votive molds with the chunkies all the way to the top and then, pour the wax.

Dee, I also use V-1 but always use ratio of 3 oz. of C-3 to 3 oz. V-1 and never have any cracks. Wicking... I always have to use much larger wicks than recommended for soy. My standard for V-1 and C-3 votives isLX-16.

I fill my mold up with chunks to the top, then i pour wax over. This makes it so you have more chunks sticking out. :smiley2:

[ATTACH]17798[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]17799[/ATTACH]

That's how I did mine. Then I added a few more chunks on top to make sure I had some sticking out.

Try it with pillars. Looks great!!!

I used a soy/parrafin blend that i got off of ebay to make the votives i love the wax i wish i knew what it was more specifically. But when i make pillars i use paraffin wax IGI 4625.

That's how I did mine. Then I added a few more chunks on top to make sure I had some sticking out.

Try it with pillars. Looks great!!!

Yeah im always posting pictures of the pillars i make. It seems that i enjoy making chunk candles the most out of anything.

i asked if i could make chunky votives with palm feather wax but was told no cuz you couldnt cut it to make chunks

Why do chunks have to be cut? :confused: I break mine and I like the way they look! If I wanted jello cubes, then I'd make jello! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:I not only make chunky votives, I use chunks in pillars too. I even made a really KEWELL candle with the "straws" I saved from stirring palm wax with a skewer. There are no laws that say one has to do things a certain way when making unusual designs! :):yay::yay::yay:

Why do chunks have to be cut? :confused: I break mine and I like the way they look! If I wanted jello cubes, then I'd make jello! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:I not only make chunky votives, I use chunks in pillars too. I even made a really KEWELL candle with the "straws" I saved from stirring palm wax with a skewer. There are no laws that say one has to do things a certain way when making unusual designs! :):yay::yay::yay:

Your absolutely right. Chunk candles just have to have chunks theres no specific as to what they have to look like. Usually when you play around you end up finding different ways to make them.:smiley2:

thanks everyone.. i had asked the online help at bcn cuz i was looking at that wax and that is what i was told. i was thinking i needed to pour some wax colored and scented onto like a baking sheet and then cut into chunks for the votives.

how do you guys store your extra chunks? do you think they would be ok in tupperware or would the plastic take the scent out ?

I usually store my extra chunks in ziplock bags. But then again I dont scent my chunks. I just color them so that whenever i make a candle i dont have to make a certain scent. I can just pick a color and scent the overpour.

Not scenting is a good idea. When I make chunks I usually have a particular scent in mind so I scent them. Some of the GladWare type containers have the 5 at the bottom and the PP also. Some of the generic types do also. Some don't so make sure you check!

I just used my reject tea lights to make chunks. They are all scented differently and then I overpour with unscented wax. Makes for some interesting scented candles.

As for storing, I simply have a basket of reject tea lights sitting in my shop and cut the chunks whenever I decide to make the candles.

i was thinking i needed to pour some wax colored and scented onto like a baking sheet and then cut into chunks for the votives.

I save the little drips & dribbles of overpour in bathroom dixie cups (or unmold them into plastic baggies or jars) and when I need chunks, I either crumble them or I remelt and pour them onto a piece of foil, etc. and break off what I need for that project. As for scenting, unless I am making something that must have a certain scent, I simply use chunks with colors/scents that compliment the overpour color/scent I am using. :)