Tart warmers.... how hot is too hot?

I got the white electric tart warmers from BC and I have a problem. I first noticed a note in each box that talked about how to use it for EO's, with water and then a few drops of EO floated on top. I tested the temp with as much wax as I could get into the thing and it went over 200F, something like 215F if I remember right. I dont really feel like selling them for tarts because I think this is too high of a temp for ANY kind of tart. Side note, the bath and body store in the mall where my show is has a oil burner with a tealight and the burner had tons of smoke from the oils being too hot. I guess they have the oils to use in them now, I smelled cinnamon... burnt cinnamon. LOL Anywho, I have a few light bulb tart melters that keep the temp at 160F which I like much better than over 200F. Any ideas on what you think is the perfect temp for a tart melter? Hey, I just thought of something, someone was talking about a deal where a candle melt pool should not be over 175? on a 4 hour burn..? Sounds like maybe that would be a nice temp for wax to stay at. Bruce

I have never tempd my tarts in the tealight lit ones. I have not had a problem wither. I have 4 diffrent ones, and I burn them like crazy everyday for well over 2 years. Nothing. As for the electric, I have only sold the light bulb ones and those look fine for me too.

Thats what I think too grumpy. At those high temp the scents will flash off in no time. I think its just as important to test the melt pool temp of a tart burner just like you would test wicks, scents and jars in a container candle. I do know that some melters are made for warming oils ontop of water. Thats why the warning labels all say to use a "tart" approved melter. I have a dozen of the bc ones now and Im getting ready to label some eo's so I can have something to sell with them. I just dont like the idea that the melters have a note inside that tell how to use them for EO's and nothing about wax. Bruce

I prefer my tart warmer to keep the wax somewhere between 160 and 165. The working/pouring temperature of my wax is between 165 and 185, but since some of the FOs I use have flash points of 170, I prefer to keep the wax below 170. I feel that once the FO flashpoint is exceeded it begins to vaporize and you lose scent quickly. But that is just my opinion. I have tarts that I have used for more than 20 hours and still have lots of scent left.

The boiling point of water is 212 degrees, you could make tea with those.

Glad I saw this, I was going to order those from BC. From the instructions you posted, it doesn't sound like they were designed to be tart warmers. After reading you post I'm staying with my warmers that use light bulbs.

Dee