Excited newbie here!!!

Aunt Bum

:yay: Hey there!

I really don't know where to start on this forum.

I want to learn to make soap and candles and I have actually made a batch of cold process soap!

I have lots of questions and hope to learn lots from reading here.

Is there any particular place I should start reading???

Congradulations on your CP soap and welcome to the addiction! :)

I started out by reading in the archives of this soap forum and other forums as well. A good starting place are the threads that deal with lye safety, as well as learning about what kinds of containers are good for mixing lye in, etc... I think I read for a whole year or more before getting up enough courage to try CP. Stickies at the top of the soaping section are a good place to start, too. They have a lot of basic information for the beginner. Oh- and never be afraid to ask questions! :)

MarieJeanette

As far as candles...try to decide what TYPE you want to do...containers, pillars etc. You can start there and I would say really get to know one type before moving on to the next. When you have a question, just use the search tool first because there are a lot of answers to your questions in there. There are so many different types of waxes, wicks, etc. I am still a newbie, but I have learned so much on here. Then you might have an idea of what type of wax you want to use...soy, parrafin, palm, paraffin mixed with soy. I would find out where your closest wax supplier is near you and see what types of wax they have to offer then decide. Shipping can be as much as the wax sometimes!! You can save a bundle if you get your wax closer to home. Good luck.

Jamie

Welcome to the board!

Ditto to what has been said for the most part. Search is fine, but you may not find what you were looking for. There are archives to this site and good info is there too. Lots to look through and read, but at the same time feel free to ask too.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

The funny thing about all this is that I know exactly what I WANT to make I just need the direction- as far as candles anyway.

I buy a votive creme brulee' for $4. each because it is simply the best candle I have ever smelled. The folks make it here locally and it seems rude to ask them the details about which wax and scent exactly- so I decided I must figure it out.

All I know is that the wax is very soft-even when cold and the smell is just too wonderful.

I call it my "happy candle" because it relieves stress and calms me almost as soon as I smell it. My hubby agrees and bought me a dozen on Valentines Day!!:rolleyes2

I'm just thinking it will be more cost effective(and fun) to create my own.

Now soap is a whole other issue- I want to make every scent imaginable- but I am taking it very slow and trying to learn before I attack each new idea.

Back to reading!!!

Blessings

Autumn

I'm just thinking it will be more cost effective(and fun) to create my own.

Can I just tell you right now, up front, without offending you that most of the folks here started with the same idea. Fun? YES, but cost effective? NO!!!!!!!!

The investment of time and money into these hobbies is beyond comprehension so if you're looking for cheap candles, buy them from your supplier for life.

I already know you won't believe me (or won't care, even if you do) but you can't say you weren't warned when the UPS man knows your name and your credit cards start smoking every time there's a new supplier on the boards everyone is raving about or a new fragrance (or 50) to test out. :)

Can I just tell you right now, up front, without offending you that most of the folks here started with the same idea. Fun? YES, but cost effective? NO!!!!!!!!

The investment of time and money into these hobbies is beyond comprehension so if you're looking for cheap candles, buy them from your supplier for life.

I already know you won't believe me (or won't care, even if you do) but you can't say you weren't warned when the UPS man knows your name and your credit cards start smoking every time there's a new supplier on the boards everyone is raving about or a new fragrance (or 50) to test out. :)

I TOTALLY second this!!!!!!!! It is not cost effective, but certainly is more fun!