What is a good NATURAL emulsifying agent - does it exist?

SimplyBea

Hi folks

I want to try and make a light moisturiser for myself and I keep finding recipes using e-wax..... is there a substitute made out of natural plant maerials without alcohol or other chemically degrading methods??? Or am I talking out of turn here...... :confused:

TIA

no real answer here, but cetyl alcohol isn't made with alcohol if that's what you mean by that one.

chemically degrading methods? hunh?

everything that has a physical existence is made of chemicals, btw. well with the exception of things like gravity, force, motion, and light. maybe the soul.

everything that has a physical existence is made of chemicals, btw. well with the exception of things like gravity, force, motion, and light. maybe the soul.

Hi CareBear

Yeah - I know that we are all chemical compositions.... didn't make myself clear I guess. I am just trying to avoid any synthetically manufactured elements in anything I use nowadays........wherever possible that is..... and I wanted to try making a moisturiser firstly for myself and then for my mum (who has leukemia and I want to reduce her 'toxic load') if I am successful.......

cheers

Hi CareBear

Yeah - I know that we are all chemical compositions.... didn't make myself clear I guess. I am just trying to avoid any synthetically manufactured elements in anything I use nowadays........wherever possible that is..... and I wanted to try making a moisturiser firstly for myself and then for my mum (who has leukemia and I want to reduce her 'toxic load') if I am successful.......

cheers

I'd suggest straight oils for her perhaps

I could be wrong, but doesn't olive ewax have hydrogenated oils in it?

I use lecithin as my emulsifier.

Hi EdenSong - my supplier did suggest soy lecithin...... how do you find the end result with this?

I'd suggest straight oils for her perhaps

CareBear - I wanted to try and get her to use straight avocado or macadamia oil but when I am not there I am afraid she might spill some and slip - she is also very absentminded and forgetful (dementia) so I am trying to make something for her which is quite easy to use. She uses a moisturiser daily so it would also be more 'familiar' to her daily routine.....

Hi EdenSong - my supplier did suggest soy lecithin...... how do you find the end result with this?

It's tricky, but you can do it. It does offer a nice feel to the product. I don't use soy in anything. I'd recommend sunflower lecithin.

You could just make an anhydrous moisturizer with butters and oils. I make a light eye cream without water or wax and it's one of my better formulations.

It's tricky, but you can do it. It does offer a nice feel to the product. I don't use soy in anything. I'd recommend sunflower lecithin.

Hmmm - not sure if I can get that here......... I will enquire and see what happens....... what would be a concern with soy lecithin? I have a feeling that is the only one available here.....

You could just make an anhydrous moisturizer with butters and oils. I make a light eye cream without water or wax and it's one of my better formulations.

That sounds really cool - would you mind sharing the recipe for me to try and tweak to use as a moisturiser?

thanks!

I don't use soy in anything, including food consumption. (That's just a personal preference because most soy is not on the GRAS list -- it's a non-food unless fermented.) I'm sure it would be okay to use soy lecithin in your recipe though, since 3% is the max used in any formulation.

Sorry, I can't give you my formula for the eye cream, but you can make one up by starting with the basics of how some body butters are made (no wax) and make your adjustments to get the consistency you desire. Select non-clogging butters and oils with anti-aging properties.

If you decide to try it, I'd be happy to give you some tips if you run into trouble or have questions.

Maybe, just maybe, this would come close?

http://www.aquasapone.com.au/emulsifiers.html

Birdie - that looks like what I might be looking for! Thanks for the link.

I have virtually run out of time so I had to bite the bullet.

I have already ordered a small amount of the Organic Olive e-wax & soy lecithin to try. I could not find any sunflower lecithin here.

We leave in mid September and being so isolated, it takes a while to get supplies delivered and I did want to have a go before it got too late to try some recipes out.

thanks!

....... Sorry, I can't give you my formula for the eye cream, but you can make one up by starting with the basics of how some body butters are made (no wax) and make your adjustments to get the consistency you desire. Select non-clogging butters and oils with anti-aging properties.

If you decide to try it, I'd be happy to give you some tips if you run into trouble or have questions.

EdenSong - thank you. I will see how I go with trying out the moisturiser first once I get the supplies.

thanks!

The AquaSapone link I gave you was, as you found, a biz in Australia but the US distributor is www.annelees.com but her site is down for maintinance at present.

Hi Birdie

Thanks. I followed the link and the supplier for Australia is actually in New Zealand so I imagine shipping would be quite costly. Will keep your link and see if there are other items I might try from them to make it more sensible for shipping.

Thank you soooooo much though for your kindness in following this up for me. :cheesy2: :cheesy2:

Have a GREAT DAY!!!

cheers