First test underway

Here I am finally getting to test my first containers. They are the 4 Jamaica Me Crazy candles with 4 different wicks. We have:

-htp 105

-lx 24

-zinc 60-14-18

-cd 18

I don't know which is which because I want a blind "study". Well I peeked and know that the last on on the right is the CD 18, and the largest flame so far. I will burn for 3 hours at least...maybe 4 hours. The jars are close to 4 inches in diameter.

post-11016-139458455898_thumb.jpg

Ok, so I burned all 4 candles together from 3:15 till 6:30. None of the wicks drown out. None had a full melt pool, but I know you can't expect that always on the first burn. All jars were just warm to touch, none got too hot.

#1 was HTP 105 and had the second largest flame. Did ok.

#2 was 60-14-18 zinc and had second smallest flame.

#3 was LX 24 and had the smallest flame, smallest MP, but strongest HT, hmmm imagine that.

#4 was CD 18 and had the largest flame and MP, did some dancing, had very mild sooting at times (noticed at 4 pm)- maybe need a smaller size of this one next time?

The pictures are of all 4 when blown out. And in order 1-4 as listed above.

post-11016-139458455899_thumb.jpg

post-11016-139458455901_thumb.jpg

post-11016-139458455903_thumb.jpg

post-11016-139458455904_thumb.jpg

post-11016-139458455906_thumb.jpg

Keep on testin' - lookin' good. :)

I find the meltpool on the CDN 18 interesting, especially in that container. Are you keeping track of the rate of consumption (weighing before & after the test and converting the value to RoC per hour)? It looks like that is burning way faster than I would expect in a soy candle of that diameter with that wick burned for only 3 hours...

Ok, so I have now done four 3 hour burns of my candles. None of them have a full MP, all have quite a bit of hang up on the sides of the jar. The HTP and CD wicks have some soot on the glass now. I am wondering if I need to double wick the 10 oz apothecary jar. It's about 3.75 inches in diameter. I have read a lot about people having to double wick this type of jar, I would not prefer to do that, but if I have to I will try it. Where would you recommend I start?? Since I am already done with 4 burns should I keep going till the candle is all gone or melt down and start over with some wick adjustments?? Thanks for your help in advance. The details of the candles are above.

How far down in the container have they burned? Halfway? More? Less? In larger containers like this, sometimes it might take a little longer for the sides to catch up. Testing is tedious, but unless the wicks are drowning, there is no reason not to burn your testers down to the bitter end. How candles burn during the first half of the container can be very different from the way they burn during the last half, when the temperatures inside the container increase a lot!

How's the hot throw? :)

Stella,

None of the wicks are drowning, so I guess I will keep burning. They are less than halfway gone. The HT seems good. I have them burning in the largest part of my house and I can smell them, but I think I am getting used to the scent, plus I have 4 burning at the same time.

This is where trying to test for many things at once can become problematic. You are testing burn and HT with several different candles in the same space at the same time. You really can't fairly evaluate the HT under those conditions.

How hot does the container become after the candle has been burning for 3 hours? Is it only warm, almost too warm to touch or too hot to grasp?

Only warm to touch. Easy to handle so far. Right now I am just trying to find a wick that will burn well in this wax, then I will probably be able to test for HT more closely. I wasn't sure how to go about it originally, so I might be a little out of order.

Should I be burning for 3 or 4 hours at a time? I have been doing 3 at a time. The jar is 3.75 inches in diameter. Thanks.

Only warm to touch.
That's what I thought. If the container isn't heating up much when the candle gets past the halfway point, there's a reasonable chance that it might not build up enough heat for the hangup to catch up. It shouldn't be too hot to touch, but it should be pretty warm... See how strange testing goes? This is why ya have to hang in until the candle is completely burned most of the time. At first, the CDN 18 was burning more quickly than I imagined; now it's not building quite enough heat... We'll just have to be patient and wait to see how the wicks are going to handle the last half of the candles. It's like a soap opera: "As the Testers Burn":laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

3.75 inches would be about 3 hrs 45 minutes if ya wanna be real correct. Whether you do 3 hours or 4 or 3:45, do it consistently each time! Since you've been doin' 3 hours, stick with 3 hours.