Can I test multiple candles of the same scent at once?

I made 4 of the same jar candles, same scent and color. Different wicks. Can I test them at the same time to compare them? The only problem I could see with this is not being able to judge the HT because 4 would be burning at once? What would you do?

If you want to test them all for scent throw too, you would have to put each in completely different areas. Like putting one at each end of the house, or one in the house, one in the shop. Or put in a large room and close the door. That's the only way I know of testing both the wick and scent throw at the same time, unless you have enclosed testing area/cases. Of course, you'd want to keep a close eye on them while they are burning.

Forgot about that:grin2: ...I'm past that stage:D ! But I would think you could put them up high enough where you don't have to worry.

HA! I wish!! :laugh2:She's nearly 10 and can reach everywhere! In fact, when I first started making candles when she was 4 and 5 she would not go near them! Now she's fascinated. Go figure!

When I test my candles I always put them in a 7 cup Pyrex storage type container/bowl. You can get them at Walmart, Target or Kohls. You could use one of the large Pyrex measuring cups. I feel much more safe doing test burning when the candle is in the glass bowl just in case the container would shatter or crack. (I've never had that happen yet, but I do test different wicks and sometimes the jars do get hot.) Oh.....power burning. I don't like to power burn but I do test for that since I know alot of customers do.

Also, when my children were little I would do this for added protection whenever I would burn a candle on a high shelf. Just in case the kids would throw something. Just felt like the bowl with the candle in it was much more stable. However, with small children always be in the same room with them and the candle at all times.

You can test them all at once side by side for HT (or CT). Smell back and forth between them. After the first round, you won't smell the weaker ones anymore. You will still smell the strongest one.

For example, I have been testing 4630, 6006, 6098, and 4627 at the same time. When I test for CT or HT, after the first round of sniffs, I can't smell 4630 any more, can barely smell 6006. I can still smell 6098 and 4627. They are very close in strength.

I have done this time after time without looking at the labels first, and the results are always the same.

Yeah I have read this method before. I am testing the same wax and haven't yet tested it at all. This is my first test. With 4 different wicks. So maybe I will light one up first just to see how this wax throws, then light up the others to compare which wick throws better.