Almond Extract/aloe In Loton

DREWSMOM

HI,

I actually have 2 questions, sorry...

Where would you use almond extract (the kind used for cakes) and liquid aloe(the dietary supplement in healthfood stores) in lotions? Would you replace the FO or EO in the lotion with the almond extract? It smells so yummy that was my thought. Would you replace part of the water with the aloe?

Thanks, I've been doing alot of experimenting lately and hate to waste any more ingredients!

Oils and extracts are not interchangeable as extracts are alcohol based. It could change the balance of your recipe greatly. Almond FOs are a better bet as there are toxicity issues with many bitter almond EOs.

Aloe juice is frequently subbed for a portion of water though. That shouldn't be a problem.

I've used aloe in place of water. I can't use a full load of aloe though without sticky results. Usually a 50/50 mix of aloe and water is about as far as I can go. I haven't tried almond extract but am curious what properties you're trying to get from it.

The almond extract just smells so good I though I could scent it naturally with that.

I may just try some at the end of the recipe instead of FO or EO. It kind of has an oily feel to it and it may just add some extra moisturizing effect.

Thanks for the aloe info!

I may just try some at the end of the recipe instead of FO or EO. It kind of has an oily feel to it and it may just add some extra moisturizing effect.

I hope you're kidding with that statement, if not you seriously should not be making lotion. You could cause serious skin problems if it isn't skin safe, beside knowing if it's preserved correctly because you don't know the actual ingredients of the extract. :rolleyes2

Chris, This board is for people to learn, experiences and hopefully be successful at a new carrer- Can't you just be nice. That is why she was asking, so that she could be safe in making lotion. I am really tired of people abusing people here. I send people here all the time to ask questions , because I thought it was a great place to learn.

Almond Extract is macerated in alcohol.

Read the back of the bottle and make sure that there isntant anything else in there. It should only have Alcohol, Sweet or bitter Almonds, and water. I use over 150 Extracts in my lotions, so it is perfectly safe. Infact I make my own extracts and have for 10 years now. Lotion on the market is made with large amounts of alcholol. So 1/2 ounce to an 1 ounce is nothing.

Sweet Almond; The first choice of many aromatherapists as it is good for all skin types. Almond oil diluted with 10% of Avocado or Wheatgerm (unless the user is allergic to wheat) is good for people with dry skin, and can help relieve itching, soreness and dryness. Never confuse this oil with the essential oil from bitter almonds as this oil is never used in aromatherapy due to the risk of prussic acid forming.

The bitter almond is a cousin to the sweet almond and contains in its raw state traces of lethal prussic acid. Five unprocessed bitter almonds can be toxic for a child and fifteen can be lethal for an adult. Although the toxicity is destroyed by heat, the sale of unrefined bitter almonds is prohibited in the United States.

Bitter almonds are successfully processed to make almond extract and almond-flavored liqueurs, free of the toxins. Prussic acid is also found in the pits of peaches and apricots.

Abusultes are Pressed and the oil is taken out. Fragrances are not natural, but serve the purpose. Essential Oils is a concentrated, hydrophobic liquid containing volatile aroma compounds from plants, either steamed or infused.

There are two forms of the plant, one (often with white flowers) producing sweet almonds, and the other (often with pink flowers) producing bitter almonds. The kernel of the former contains a fixed oil and emulsion. As late as the early 20th century the oil was used internally in medicine, with the stipulation that it must not be adulterated with that of the bitter almond; it remains fairly popular in alternative medicine, particularly as a carrier oil in aromatherapy, but has fallen out of prescription among doctors.

The bitter almond is rather broader and shorter than the sweet almond, and contains about 50% of the fixed oil which also occurs in sweet almonds. It also contains the enzyme emulsin which, in the presence of water, acts on a soluble glucoside, amygdalin, yielding glucose, cyanide and the essential oil of bitter almonds, which is nearly pure benzaldehyde. Bitter almonds may yield from 4–9 mg of hydrogen cyanide per almond,Extract of bitter almond was once used medicinally, but even in small doses effects are severe and in larger doses can be deadly; the cyanide must be removed before consumption

The point I am making is that in Almond extracts that you eat- the cyanide is removed, or it would kill you. So if it is eatable then it is ok for the skin. If you can eat it, it is lotion safe. ( make sure you have a Good preservitive).I perfer natural items over FO. But for a beinger I would use FO , so that you are covered and no worries of reacations. Also, a lot of people have nut alergies. So you have to label it on the lotion as a nut product. So again. FO.. the way to go!

Monica

www.vanyulay.com

I was not abusive, but truthfully shocked with her statement "It kind of has an oily feel to it and it may just add some extra moisturizing effect." I'm sorry I didn't sugar coat it enough for you, but that's not my style to pussy foot around, especially when I see someone that may be headed for a problem. I'm very, very seldom harsh with anyone on this or any other board, that also isn't my style!! :rolleyes2

Thank you so much for the information on this Monica. I was asking because of my concern for making something that might not work or be ok for my friends. I am a newbie to this and that's why I love this board. I can ask honest questions I need help with, if that makes sense:)

The bottle was in the cake making section of Pat Catan's (local version of Michael's) and it lists the ingredients as water, alcohol and artificial flavors. I will go with the FO as in the past, but I had been thinking of new ideas lately...

have a good evening and thanks again..

Monica

I have a 16oz bottle of bitter almond EO , would that be safe to use in Soaps? I sure do not want to harm anyone , but I would think that anyone selling this would have to label it as a toxic poison.

I'm gonna get rid of it if it is not safe. I got it at EOU so I'm going to call them too.

Thank you so much for the information on this Monica. I was asking because of my concern for making something that might not work or be ok for my friends. I am a newbie to this and that's why I love this board. I can ask honest questions I need help with, if that makes sense:)

The bottle was in the cake making section of Pat Catan's (local version of Michael's) and it lists the ingredients as water, alcohol and artificial flavors. I will go with the FO as in the past, but I had been thinking of new ideas lately...

have a good evening and thanks again..

Your welcome, IF I can ever help . You can email me. Hopefully I can have an answer. Monica