Melting eco CB

When testing my candles just to determine wick size I don't melt them down. Just take a pliers and pull the existing wick out and plop a new one in the old wick hole, take a heat gun and smooth the top back down. Works great. Once I am sure that the wick will work, after a few burns I will then make another candle, usually by remelting the excess of the first candle and adding to it to make a full candle that I can completely burn. I know it does not address your initial question fully but I'd not recommend heating/reheating waxes more than once honestly and this will save you a TON of time. :) Bruce from Wicks Unlimited was the one who initially got me doing this as it is how he actually tests customer candles for them.

sherry,

I've got to try this as it sounds like great idea. I find I'm always remelting when I'm testing things and it's a big job. Do you do this with a smaller size container? I usually am testing 4 oz or 2 oz deep tins so hoping my wick can find it's way down to the wick tab.

I don't suggest pulling the wick on a container. The wax has melted down some and you won't get a true test. If you are simply testing for wicking, remelting won't matter. If you are testing for throw, remelting will impact the scent somewhat.

There are many guides for wick selection suggestions online... One of my favorites is here:

http://www.wickit.net/recommendations.html

If you use the search tool, you may find that another member has shared basic wick sizes for your container. If you have a place to start, you should not be having to make so many extra tests. HTH :)

Hi Sherry, I think starting a new thread on an old topic is good sometimes with new waxes coming out, new formulas and scents, and new people joining the board. The search tool is handy but discussing old things with new input is good too.

Flicker - the pliers trick usually doesn't work for me on containers less than 3 inches tall. The wick falls over before you can really get a chance to see what's going on. I do use it for large containers to narrow the wick size down to two or three choices. Then I make testers with those two or three wicks attached to the container.

HTH

Deb

I don't suggest pulling the wick on a container. The wax has melted down some and you won't get a true test. If you are simply testing for wicking, remelting won't matter. If you are testing for throw, remelting will impact the scent somewhat.

That is why you use a heat gun to remelt the top. You will have a perfectly level surface. Trust me, I've done this for the past five years and it's never failed me. Bruce from Wicks Unlimited was the one who recommended it. He does the exact same thing. As long as you use a heat gun to melt as I stated the surface back to level, why go thru all the work of melting, cleaning out the jar, rewicking and pouring? This takes 5 minutes vs. 1 hr. :)

Flicker - the pliers trick usually doesn't work for me on containers less than 3 inches tall. The wick falls over before you can really get a chance to see what's going on.

HTH

Deb

Deb, I never thought of that since I don't do anything that short. hmmmm I should pull out some tins and see what the shortest candle I can get away with it in is. I know it works great in JJ's which is typically what I test first since overall if I have to wick up/down in one size I do in all jars. Good point there. Thanks for sharing that too! :)

Yeah, I love that trick for jjs.:cheesy2: That's where I start too. But then when I get to my 4 oz tins, it just doesn't work for me. By that time, though, I usually have a good idea since I've already tested my jj.

Deb

Hey! Stella I have been a member in this board for 3 years and steel don't know how to search for some of the things I need help with And any help

I need I have to ask Sorry......:)

SHerry, I totally understand. This link

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19106&postcount=2

describes how to use the two types of searches available. If the simple site tool doesn't turn up what you need, sometimes you can get more specific results using the Google site search. HTH :)