Soy Candles - film on sides

Hi everyone:

This is my first post. I'm glad to be a part of this with you all. I feel like I can learn so much from your experiences. For instance. lol. Why do the candles I make with soy wax and dyes look like there is a film along the inside of the jars? How can I get rid of it?

Thanks,

Jennifer Ditter

I know exactly what you are seeing. Thats just a light coating of "frost" which most soys do - even the no frost soys do it if you pump them up with lots of dye and fo - though not as much as regular soys. The type of wax, pour temp, FO type and color load (or a combination of all) will affect how much of this you see. Most people don't worry about it.

Many times you will notice it MORE when the wax pulls away from the glass (what people call a wet spot - but to me it makes more sense to call a wet spot where the wax sticks to the glass). So, my goal is to try to make containers where the wax adhears as much as possible to the glass. You can see the effect if you take a heat gun just to the outside of your container and just heat it enough to just melt the wax - you'll see it re-adhear to the glass and I bet you'll see that the "film" mostly, or totally will go away. With the winter months I'm noticing more "wetspots" now - nothing really you can do to completely and consistenly stop them - they come and go.

There is a product discussed here recently called frostop (http://www.barnloftcandles.com/candle_making.html) you may want to read about. (You should go over and read the veg wax forum at http://www.candletech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)