Retries for fragrance?

Hi,

I am new at this, so forgive me if this is obvious...I did poke around the forum and didn't see this exact issue addressed.

I wasn't happy with the scent throw on the very first candle I made. I was using C-3 and used 6% FO. My question is, can I re-melt this sucker and try adding more fragrance? If so, is the procedure exactly the same as the original (double boiler, heat to 180-185, add fragrance (I had originally added it at about 150*), cool down (I cooled it down to about 115*) then pour?

If C-3 has a fragrance load of 9%, do I assume that I can do 3% FO on the remelt (since I originally did 6%) without overloading the wax with oil? Or do I assume some of the FO has burned off/evaporated and add more? Or, is it a dumb idea all around? :)

Also, if the reason I had no scent throw was not necessarily that I didn't use enough FO, but that I added the fragrance at too low of a temperature and it didn't "bind" with the wax, will heating it back up to the higher temperature achieve this effect? This is probably an extremely stupid question, but I'm dying to know.

I'd really like to be able to re-use wax if possible. I'm just making these for fun for myself and ffor family and friends, and smell is the most important thing for me (I'll worry about all those sinkholes later!!)

Thanks for any advice. I've been looking at this forum for about a week now and have found it quite helpful so far!

-Jinker

C-3 has a fragrance load of 9%

The Handling Sheet for NatureWax C3 states:

* The recommended fragrance load for this wax is 6% or less, although a 7 to 10% fragrance loads

may be added with the addition of additives to help control the fragrance.

I don't know if Elevance has changed the formula, but I have seen nothing that indicates the recommended FO load has changed. Supplying one's information on their website gives access to downloading the handling and technical data sheets for their products.

Before you think that the percentage needs to be increased, realize that wicking has a LOT to do with hot throw, curing helps with both cold and hot throw and the overall quality of the FO you used has a bearing.

Read up some on C3 here in the veggie wax forum - there's a LOT of information!! Also read up on procedures for test burning your candle. Sinkholes, etc. must be mitigated BEFORE you test burn, or your results will not be accurate.

Add FO at at least 165° for best results. It will not evaporate appreciably.

There's a lot more to making candles than melting wax and adding FO and a wick! ;) Read, read, read and test, test, test. When you have a question, please let us know what wax, additives, wick/size, container/diameter, FO, melting & pouring temp, etc. you used so that we can better help you. Photos always help (except that we can't smell 'em...).

Good luck & have fun!! :)

I got the 9% fragrance load figure from a supplier of the wax. Thanks for the tip about getting the handling sheet.

I've been reading a lot on the forum and elsewhere, so I know I'm going to have to experiment quite a bit. I'm still working through all the various factors. I didn't realize that craters and such affected the fragrance-- I thought that was more of a cosmetic thing.

Thanks!

I didn't realize that craters and such affected the fragrance

"Craters" affect the burn of the candle. If a void in the candle is exposed by the heat of the melt pool, the wax runs from the melt pool into the void and empties the MP. this allows too much wick to be exposed and the candle will not burn correctly, often unsafely. Getting a candle to burn properly is a higher priority than is scent throw. ;)

USA is an additive that allows the wax to hold a higher FO load. ;)

What FO did you use from what supplier? Did you test burn the candle?

I have remelted imperfect candles many times with no appreciable loss to the scent throw, so I don't think you have to worry too much about that unless you really bake them! Put in the oven as Brenda suggested (no higher temp than 200°F) and turn the oven off when the candles are almost totally melted. Leave in the oven until cooled.