Increasing scent throw in palm wax

Did some searching but couldn't find anything, so apologies in advance if I missed a discussion somewhere and please point me in the right direction.

Otherwise, are there any additives that can be added to palm wax to increase scent throw? Would a universal soy additive work? I read somewhere in another thread that this was possible.

Many thanks.

Are you having an issue with scent throw or where you just looking for a way to bind more FO in the wax?

The reason I ask is that I use palm exclusively and haven't had an issue with throw. I typically find that my candles with 1 oz pp FO are as strong as the old paraffin candles that I used 1.5 oz pp FO in. Just wondering. Also I found that many additives change or destroy the crystalization pattern of palm. The ONLY additive I use is UV inhibitor.

Are you having an issue with scent throw or where you just looking for a way to bind more FO in the wax?

The reason I ask is that I use palm exclusively and haven't had an issue with throw. I typically find that my candles with 1 oz pp FO are as strong as the old paraffin candles that I used 1.5 oz pp FO in. Just wondering. Also I found that many additives change or destroy the crystalization pattern of palm. The ONLY additive I use is UV inhibitor.

Some of the scents I use have a decent scent throw but not as good as paraffin. I'm scenting at 5.75% and wondering if there's anyway for the scent throw to be enhanced. Not looking to add more FO.

Hmmm....at 1 oz pp I am using 6.25% and have awesome throw so I am not sure what is going on.

What are the scents that you are having issues with? Where are they from?

I am wondering if that could be part of the problem. The only ones I have had issues with were some of the economy versions from Save on Scents but those weren't all that strong out of the bottle either. Most of my FO's come from BC and I haven't seen much of a difference in throw since switching from paraffin and often get comments about the scent strength.

I'm scenting at 5.75% and wondering if there's anyway for the scent throw to be enhanced. Not looking to add more FO.

Using 1 oz. pp is pretty standard, so I think you are under fragrancing your palm wax. Before you start thinking about additives, I think first you might want to raise your FO load to 6.25% and see if that helps enough to meet your standards. Wicking is also an important factor. Improper wicking will diminish hot throw considerably. HTH :)

I have actually been thinking more about this too and came up with a couple of other things that might influence throw other than not using the full 1 oz per lb.

1. What temp are you adding FO at and how long are you stirring? If it is too cool or not stirred enough the FO might not be binding with the wax well. I have had issues with vanilla based scents seeming not as strong because they didn't bind well enough. With those I typically get the wax up to temp, draw what I need out of the presto pot into my pour pot, add color & FO then pop the pot into my water bath while stirring to make sure it stays at temp to better bind everything together.

2. How long are you letting them cure before deciding that they are not strong enough? I have some scents that are great immediately after they set up and others that can take up to a full week to fully "bloom" in wax. They still smell ok but after a week they are awesome! This seems to happen with some of my light florals or some of the more complex blends of FO's.

1. What temp are you adding FO at...

Generally with palm wax, this is not an issue because palm wax is heated and poured at a much higher temp than is soy... If one were in the lower temp range where a FO might not bind well, there would be no showy crystallization to speak of in the cooled palm wax. Stirring is important, but since palm wax isn't as viscous as soy, the FOs generally mix in more easily.

Curing is important, but the bottom line IMHO is that one has to add enough FO to begin with!! Usually we think of additives when someone is using an excessive amount of FO and getting no throw even when the wicking is dialed in.

I've been making tarts, though I have made some candles as well. I stir the fragrance in for maybe 20-30 seconds when the directions say 2 minutes. I never thought that might not be long enough for everything to bind. As for cure time, a few days to a few weeks, depending.

I agree. Try that & upping the scent load to 1 oz per lb to see if it makes a difference. I bet it will.

Stella, I typically don't have an issue because I do mix & pour on the hotter side but I have had issues with scents like sugar cookie or french vanilla where they didn't want to bind correctly without the extra heat during stirring so I figured it was worth throwing it out there just in case that was part of the issue. I also know that some people wait until the wax has cooled a bit with other waxes to put in FO so it doesn't "evaporate" so that could contribute to the issue, again not a problem for me but worth throwing it out there just in case that was part of the issue for the sake of trouble shooting. As you said this wax is a different beast so things that people may do with other waxes may not work with this one.