FO for reed diffusers

rebeccajo99

So if I understand you correctly, I can mix any fo with the reed diffuser base. I have been looking at the bases that Peak and Candle Science has, but have not narrowed it down to which one I want to try or to see what other places supply them.

I thought my laundry room would be the best place to start testing them because if you can cover up that dirty diaper smell... they have to be good :laugh2:

Lol..really it depends on the quality of all supplies,and like anything else you will only be able to gage strength after testing. Peaks has many strong fo's ..... But in answer to your question, No, you do not need a "special" oil to make diffusers.

It is all about the FO. I mainly use Peaks base and love it. The FOs that works for me in really stinky areas are Bert's Fig Melon and Ultimate Watermelon.

I was doing 50/50 on these and adding some color but I noticed that the reeds would clog up so I changed to 30/70 with minimual color and they have been great. They last over 4 -6 months.

I have used WSP's base when Peaks is on backorder and the only difference I noticed was that WSP's evaporated faster but no difference in the scent throw and I did not have to turn the reeds over as much....I don't know why the difference just my observation between the two. I tend to order more from Peaks so, it's easier for me.

Laura

I put a couple of links to reed diffuser supplies in another topic - click here to check 'em out. The clogging is most certainly caused by the dye you are using.

I can mix any fo with the reed diffuser base

Some mix with the base better than others, so you simply have to test to see which ones work best for you or use ones recommended by the supplier who provides the base you use. HTH :)

i have not tried peaks base, but i know that CS has info on their website about their base and VOCs. apparently some states have stricter laws about the bases and not all bases are legal to sell in those states. if you live in one of the states (they're listed on the CS website) better check with whoever you decide to get your base from.

i got some base and reeds from CS and mixed 1 part FO (CS mistletoe) to 3 parts base. within about 30 minutes, maybe less, the scent had gone up the reeds. it is amazingly strong, of course the FO is strong in soy candles too. i actually had to take some of the reeds out, it was almost overwhelming. i also did a lavender one, again, wonderful. i want to try the cranberry marmalade and also the rain water to start (all CS fragrances).

thats information is good to know about the restrictions. I will have to look into that as well.

I'm trying to firgure out how long to test one before I can put it on the market as well. I know they last 3 to 4 months and do they really need to be tested until they are gone like candles do. It just seems like a long time to test 1 scent before putting on the market.

Also, is there a way to determin if the reeds are plugged or would you just not smell the scent. I'll probably order my stuff in May since I leave to bring home my son next week.