Same name

kimmeroo

Is it legal for someone to have the same business name? My mom was looking on the web and saw a Black River Candle Company...but it was like twenty miles from where I do business....I use Co. they use the whole word(Company).It kinda made me mad at first but they probably didn't know about me. I sent them an email to let them know I was out there.I hope neither of us have to chang our names..that could be costly..:sad2:

Kimmeroo:smiley2:

I don't know about NY but in my state you can have the same name registered as long as there is something different about it. Like it could be Black River Candle Company and Black River Kandle Company. I'm not sure if the co and company count as being different or not. And I don't know if it's the same in all states. It's a real PITA here though. My hubby and I ran into that when we had an insulation business. Another company had the same name as us but had added insulation on at the end an they let them register it. We were getting calls all the time looking for the other company and vice versa. They were located about 1 1/2 hrs from us. If it ever happens to me again, I'm changing my name to avoid the hassle

Whew! Thanks all for the replies..I emailed her and she emailed me back and she is out of business..yay! I emailed her again just chatting a little and asking her why she went out of business and just trying to let her know I was going to change my name IF I had to...she applied for a DBA in the bordering county..so it wouldn't have mattered anyhow.

Thanks again..I panicked before I got a result..I am glad this board is here for imes like these! THAnks again!:yay:

Kimmeroo:smiley2:

When you file your fictitious names documents, it covers all forms of the name... ie...

Candle Days

Kandle Days

Candle Dayz

You get the idea...

The purpose is when someone has a verbal advertisement on the radio or so on, you can't tell the difference between them when they are said.

EVERY BUSINESS has to be filed with the state department if it doesn't have your surname in the title. IE. Martha Washington Candle Company