Searching for Advice on Votives...

Hello!! I was going to try to make votives and tarts, but don't really know where to start...I understand that I can't use the container wax (that I am finally getting used to...) and I have read several different wax combinations that people use. The container wax I use is GW 464. I was also looking for a soy wax to use in votives and tarts...one that has excellent throw (of course). I have also been looking at different types of molds...does anyone have a preference between silicone or metal? I found a silicone mold on a website that makes 6 candles and I think it's $12.99 or something. Also, is there a standard votive size? I've seen molds of different sizes, straight and tapered, etc...Oh and one more question (I promise)... do you use a different ratio of fragrance in these?:confused: Thanks in advance for the advice.

I use NatureWax C3 in votives I pour in containers - same formula as I do for other containers. I use pillar soy (EcoSoya PB) or pillar palm wax for molded votives. I prefer the palm wax. Again, same formula as for other pillars. You can use any wax formulated for pillars for molded votives. Same FO ratio.

For tarts, I use NatureWax C3 (tends to be a little soft, but works pretty well) or palm wax. Again, same formula as for other candles.

I have standard votive molds (they fit in a standard votive glass) - I prefer the straight sided ones (they also come flared slightly at the top). I also have some nifty aluminum cubes and octagonal molds, but hard to find containers that fit these snugly.

Generally, I keep several votive molds ready when I am pouring pillars. Any leftover wax goes into the votives. Same thing with containers - I prewick a few little votive glasses and use the leftover wax for those.

Tarts are even easier - just pour the extra from your other candle projects into the tart molds.

There is more information here which is found at the top left of the page under "Basic Instructions."

HTH :)

Thanks! The website was very helpful. Why do you prefer the Palm wax over the Ecosoya PB? I do think the appearance is more interesting...is the throw better? I've seen palm stearic acid on some websites...looks like it's added to container wax to help it harden more and release from the molds...what do you think about it?

Thanks! The website was very helpful. Why do you prefer the Palm wax over the Ecosoya PB? I do think the appearance is more interesting...is the throw better? I've seen palm stearic acid on some websites...looks like it's added to container wax to help it harden more and release from the molds...what do you think about it?

I try to start out with waxes that are formulated for the purpose I am intending. I don't generally use a container blend then try to turn it into pillar or votive blend by use of additives or other waxes.

I like palm wax better than I like soy wax, hands down. Personal preference. I use palm stearic for molded candles. I don't use it in container blends. HTH :)