Question about Using Micas

Carol M

I got some mica samples to try and was wondering how to get the effect I want. Last night, I mixed some copper mica into a little glycerin (thanks to a thread I saw a few days ago) and then into a small amount of soap and swirled into my batch. It was okay, but I only got a dusty pink color; it didn't sparkle. Mica is expensive, so I wouldn't use it just to color a product. How do you use mica to get the look of metal veins in rock? I see some soaps that look like real gold swirled throughout the bar. You don't just sprinkle it on dry, do you? It seems that it would just drop off when the soap is cut if you did that. Any help is appreciated. My parents' golden wedding anniversary is coming up and I would love to be able to make some gold swirled bars as favors.

Wow, maybe I WILL use it for color. Even though I didn't get the effect I was going for, I can't believe how this soap feels. Just that small amount of mica made the lather feel very silky, almost powdery; I love it. :D

Robin, that is really gorgeous soap. Very creamy looking and the mica swirl adds a beautiful touch. I did a search at the Dish and the Whisk and found out what I needed to know about the soap I was asking about. The gold vein was made by blending gold mica into clear m&p to allow the light to show through. The base soap was hp and trenches were made in it and the m&p poured in, then more hp, etc.

It was stunning. Unfortunately, the picture is no longer visible; can only see a red x now. But the bar was a deep midnight blue with the gold running through it, like veins in marble. I had never seen anything like it before.