Help Please

I am wanting to add another jar to the soy line ....what would you recomment for double wicking 10oz Jar 3 1/2"W x 2 3/4"H...

Apothecary Jar.....15oz Libbey" jar formerly our 10oz - but the same size.

(Ok, maybe a dumb blonde question, but how can a 10oz jar turn into a 15 oz jar if it is the same size? duhhh......)

I have mostly lx wicks and HPT 72, HTP1212 and HTP 1312.

I also have zinc wicks 44-24-18Z, 51-32-18Z,60-44-18Z.

I laso have a few RRD"S and CD's but have more of the others and they are more readily available to me.

The wax is El Millenium blend soy wax....

I will also be doing the 22oz (formerly 16)

Stella?Anyone? STELLLAAAAA! lol:rolleyes2

what would you recomment for double wicking 10oz Jar 3 1/2"W x 2 3/4"H

I'd recommend first trying to single wick with a CD16-20, depending. An LX might work well, but I am not familiar enough with them or sizes to make a guess where to start. Remember to burn the test candles all the way to the bitter end (unless one drowns out or is such a torch that one worries about cracking the glassware) to get a true idea of how the wick will work dynamically as the candle burns down. HTH :)

I will try that Stella...but was hoping to use the LX as I can get those and the HTP Locally..meaning I can have them in a day or 2.

Right now I am testing 2 lx 12's.....I am at the bottom and just making sure the jar doesn't get too hot.....

If that doesn't work I may try some of the HTP's that I have on hand...

I tried single wicking before with the HTP's and a few Cd's and was not happy with the result...

I tried single wicking before with the HTP's and a few Cd's and was not happy with the result...
What specifically was unacceptable to you and which sizes did you try?

The Wickit Wicking Recommendation Chart here will help you to compare sizes between different wick types. HTH:)

Thanks again Stella.... I would have to look back to see the sizes.....but I was not achieving full melt pool and way too much left on the sides...

The 2 lx 12's seem to be doing wonderfullyas far as full melt pool and scent throw at the very bottom of the jar...my only concern is how hot it gets....in about an hours time it achieves full melt pool....:sad2:

in about an hours time it achieves full melt pool....

That sounds overwicked. As for the previous hangup... did you burn the candles all the way down? You didn't mention the size of the wick, but unless you made your determination during the test burns from the latter half of the candle or the amount of hangup was VERY thick, you really would not be able to know whether the candle would have "caught up" during the last half of the burn.

Good luck with your testing! :)

IMO I think you will get a better burn by double wicking. I'd try two of those HTP 73's (you said 72, but I've only seen 73's so I am assuming that was a typo) and see how it goes but I think 83's might be a better starting point. If you can get your hands on some ECO's, I'd start with 2 ECO 4's or 6's. (If you lived in the states, I'd send you some ECOS and other size HTPs to try). What size CD's do you have? Its been years since I worked with the LXs and RRDs so I really don't have a suggestion for those.

I know alot of people are using 14"s but I KNOW that would be too big....I'm hoping someone who uses the LX's will pipe in...

I did test the others to the bottom and was not happy...(but I am pretty anal!lol)

It's been burning again for alost 2 hours and it is at the very bottom of the jar.....it is quite warm...I am going to let it go to the 3 hour mark to make sure it doesn't craack the glass . but may still try something else as it is too hot for my liking....:angry2:

Stella, what are your feelings on 2 CD 8's? I have a few of these around?

I don't double-wick unless I absolutely must, so I really don't know... my feeling is that it might be too much, but if ya got 'em, give it a try. :)

Be sure to record all this data so that in the future you can refer to it easily. I get so dang MAD at myself when I test a new container and don't write stuff down... (I'll remember, right?) then the next time I go to pour the same container, I'm like DUH and have to retest. Wish I hadda quarter for every time I've had to retest something because of my own scatterbrain.:rolleyes2

IMO I think you will get a better burn by double wicking. I'd try two of those HTP 73's (you said 72, but I've only seen 73's so I am assuming that was a typo) and see how it goes but I think 83's might be a better starting point. If you can get your hands on some ECO's, I'd start with 2 ECO 4's or 6's. (If you lived in the states, I'd send you some ECOS and other size HTPs to try). What size CD's do you have? Its been years since I worked with the LXs and RRDs so I really don't have a suggestion for those.

Thanks Meridith! I will have to get some of those HTP's .....it seems I only have short ones...for votives..

I was hoping to narrow it down to LX, Zinc or HTP, as I can get them local....

I LOVE CD's but don't want to have to keep ordering from the states for my testing needs and pay duty and shipping on it each time..ya know?

I think with the 12's if I move them closer together..it would be a bit better...but am thinking that I really would need the 8's or 10's....

I am testing the cd 8's right now...but they have high wick tabs...so I think there may be some left in the bottom...these have much bigger tabs than what are on all my other wicks...I think I have a 5 or6 cd 5's as well.....

I'm DETERMINED!lol

Well I let it burn for just over 4 hours......I was still able to pick up the jar, so it wasn't too hot to handle. So I am thinking that if I move the wicks closer together, it will cut down on the heat problem.

If I can get my hands on some 8's and 10's, I am still going to test those as well.

Try those 73's. Since you are using a soy blend, they may work. While I don't use the same wax as you, I can wick a jar,that is close to your jar's dimensions, with some of my FOS with 2 73's. I think that would be a good starting point for the HTPs. Most of my FOs do better with 83's with some needing 93's and larger. Good luck and be sure to keep us posted how your testing goes. I have confidence you will win this battle. :)