has anyone ever tested...

have you ever just tested wicks in your wax without FO. Now I know that you need the FO for an accurate burn test but I was wondering if anyone has ever just tested the wax and wick alone as a starting point and then poured another tester with FO and the wax/wick combo?

Oh good this is what I'm gonna do as I am trying yet another wax. I am not 100% sure that I love 464 w/ a little paraffin as wicking is still off but I'll keep testing. I just got a sample of 6006 which is a preblended parasoy and I've been searching the forums here for wick recs and found quite a few so I need to pour pour pour and did not want to blow through so much FO until I have somewhat of a starting point on wicks. Thank You

OMG, I feel silly now because this is so simple and genius!

I may have to try this... I so was afraid to ask for fear of being told it was stupid. But it makes a lot of sense, especially when testing additives or just wax and blends, in general.

For those of you who do this for a new container or new wax:

After you have done your first test and found a wick that will work with no additives, what do you do after you add scent and dye? Do you use the same wick or automatically go up one? Just wondering since I am about to test a new container but with my usual wax (C-3).

Deb

After you have done your first test and found a wick that will work with no additives, what do you do after you add scent and dye?

I used the wick that worked for me and see how the addition of the additives changes things... If the next tester needs wicking up, then I wick up one; if it needs to be wicked down, I wick down one. This is a good way to eliminate additives or FOs that cause problems like excessive frosting. When you put everything in at once, ya really don't know whether it's the dye, the FO or what causing the problem. It's also a good way to see what an additive, like USA, for example, will do for ya.

Testing the plain wax with no additives simply gives you a "known" point from which to proceed. :)