What is your most successful way to rebatch?

hem06

Hi all! Well, after 3 attempts at HP soaping, I have one batch I am happy with, 2 I am not. I want to rebatch them. Figured out my problem was not cooking for long enough. Tho both failed batches are saponified, one was lacking enough water and the other I undercooked.

Followed another HP book that states to basically let your soap cook for 45 mins-1hr. Did that and have a very nice batch. Altho, I never did see any applesauce! :D LOL.

I have 3 books here on soaping, and all 3 give different ways to rebathch. One says grate fine and add 25% rebatch to 75% new batch.

One says grate fine, place in bag, melt in hot water, then pour.

See what I mean? The other says grate fine, add to pot, add some water, cook X amount of time...

Anyway, what do you do? What has been most successful for you?

TIA!

Eugenia!! LOL. YOU WERE RIGHT!

I have a huge blister on my thumb from trying to stir not-cooked-enough soap to "applesauce" (Let me tell you now---it ain't gonna happen!!)

I am going to try rebatching this week.

Also, FYI-I have no idea how to color using tumeric, I just guessed...but ended up with a mild marbling effect....altho, my first batch is orange! HA HA

I have a huge blister on my thumb from trying to stir not-cooked-enough soap to "applesauce" (Let me tell you now---it ain't gonna happen!!)

The stages may or may not go exactly like your book. The soap will start to climb, then settle back down and look like vaseline at some point, sort of translucent. This is when the soap is starting to gel. The cook is done shortly after that, as it starts to turn opaque again.

What kind of rebatch are you going to try?

e

I am not sure what rebatch I will try. The soap is wonderfully scented, so if it looks ugly...I will give it to my family! :P

If I just grate it up fine, then remelt and pour...will that work?

I cut my soaps up into small pieces and put them in a crock pot. I like to add gm or tea as the liquid to it and let it sit in there and cook. It takes me awhile doing it this way but this method has worked for me.

This is exactly the way i want to do it. However, I am not sure what liquid to add.

The soap is Oatmeal, Milk and Honey FO, so I do not want anything that will add scent.

You could rebatch with just plain water if you don't want to add anything that might add more scent. Or use tea like chamomile that is very light in scent. Goats milk is another good one too. I like cutting my soaps into small pieces because you can see the some of the pieces throughout the soap and I think it looks cool.

I just rebatched my cherry cobbler loaf in the micro. Have to say this was the fastest, smoothest one yet. Shredded with my trusty salad shooter. Chopped some in in little cubes to mix in the melted soap.

I did not use a lid or add any fluid. It's very hot here and the finished soap was a little soft, so I put the cut up pieces in the freezer while the microwave was going.

If your mold has a lid, this is where in comes in handy. Cover with saran and squish down really hard. I'll post pics, successful or otherwise. We all learn either way. ;)

e