2 Quick questions.

Guru's advice needed please.

Q1: I contstantly read that a melt pool should take one hour per inch of jar diameter. Does that mean a full melt pool depth e.g. 1/4 inch deep OR does it mean just having the complete surface area melted but not the full 1/4 inch?

Q2: I often read about {and can understand the importance of} wicking for the last half of the jar. Now, to save time and money on testing, would I get a similar result if I just filled the container half full and tested from there? If that was succesful, I'd then do a full jar test, if unsuccesful, Ive saved some wax and FO. Does anyone do this?

Thanks

Q1 - I contstantly read that a melt pool should take one hour per inch of jar diameter...

Q2 - would I get a similar result if I just filled the container half full and tested from there?

This may be true for paraffin candles, but it is not accurate for veggie waxes. The amount of heat generated by the wick is not constant throughout the burn (this leads to your second question). It is common for a soy-based or palm wax candle to not achieve FMP on the first or even second burn period (1 hour per inch of diameter). As the candle burns down, the amount of heat increases because it is reflected back into the candle by the container. The first burns are important in evaluating the candle and setting it up for what comes later in the sucessive burns. While you are "wicking for the bottom half" of the container, you should not begin with a half-filled container because this will not give you results based on burning the entire candle.

There are no short cuts in testing container candles. Many people take them anyway and some actually get away with it, as far as having a candle that burns decently. What they don't come away with is the knowledge that comes with accurate testing - ie. knowing WHY, WHEN and under what circumstances something works or it doesn't. The amount of wax, FO, etc. used for testing is simply a cost of doing business and testing is simply continuing education for chandlers.

Thankyou both for your reply and yes it does make sense to not take shortcuts. Testing is so time consuming/expensive and frustrating but of course, necessary. Having said that, Ive just managed to produce a great candle {metro jar} using my fav scent after many attempts. Ive got my second favourite scent curing now.....fingers x'ed!