Putting candles in a store for the first time - advice?

Daria Blue

Yesterday I had a friend of the family approach me asking if I would like to put some of my candles in her store. She has a very successful family run "country" store in town and candles would fit in perfectly. I am very excited about this opportunity, but I also want to make sure that I'm approaching it the right way.

Up until now, I have always sold my own candles, so this is very new to me. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? We didn't talk about prices or any of that yesterday, I am taking some candles over tomorrow and we're going to talk about the details.

My biggest concern is pricing and the $ aspect of it. I have a set rate for the different candles that I make that I've always used up until now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Things to consider.. you need to sell you candles at the price she does. Most shop owners will quickly dump anything that is being sold at a lower price point then they are selling at. If you wholesale, it need to be half of retail. Consignment is different.

Print off a list of inventory you bring over.. 2 copies. One for her and one she signs and you get for your records. Do this with any product you bring over. Get something in writing that you agree too stating comission/base pricing, what happens to broken/damaged items, what happens if she runs a sale.. does it affect your product or what you get for it. I have a base + 30% comission. This allows me to have a sale that does not affect the vendor.. just my profit. And the base covers the utilities, advertisisng, cc fees and so on.

Once you have your things in her store.. stay on top of what is or isn't selling. I hate people dropping off stuff and never hearing from them again. I end up discounting till I get rid of stuff. Keep her shelves looking full and ask why something may not be selling. It is to both of your advantages for your product to sell so work with her without being a pest [:) ]

I started years ago in a shop like that. The shop owner helped me tune my product to her clientel. We both did well. Good luck!!