Flavor oils for lip balm

WicknScents

I read as long as they are food safe they are ok. I used grape, peppermint, etc. I found a site on another forum that suggested this.

This is what I found on this site too.

There's actually something I saw a few weeks ago- they're called Lorann flavor oils (I think that was the name anyway!) and they are used to make kid's medicine taste better. I saw that they sold them at the pharmacy- and I'm almost positive you could try that in your lip balm-since it's food grade. I asked the pharmacist if I could try a little, and it was super sweet. So maybe check out your local pharmacy...? As for it being good for really dry lips- I think it is. It's very soft, but it really works its magic quickly. I've put it on my chapped lips and they were much softer within the hour. If it's too soft, you can always try adding some more beeswax or lessening the oil in the recipe, or try some petroleum jelly. HTH!

i thought the lorann oils weren't safe?

They're safe. They are made for food products, so you don't have to worry about toxicity.

The problem is that many of them are suspended in alcohol or propylene glycol and they don't always incorporate into balms. LorAnn sells them as if they are *perfect* for lip balms and they are so not.

However, LorAnn does have some oil based flavors that would probably work just fine. They have some chocolate flavoring oils, for instance and Wilton has a few you might be able to pick up in a baking section of a local grocery.

But, for the price, LorAnn isn't my first choice (or even in my top 5).

I like BCN's sweetened flavors (not everyone does and their Java does nothing for me) and the AH/RE/Lipbalmtubes.com selection is top notch, IMO.

Check out the Flavor Oil section of the Soap Scent Review Board for a general sense of what oils taste great *and * work well.

Have fun! I LOVE making lip balms!

• 2 weeks later...
I get mine from www.FromNatureWithLove.com. They have a good variety and very good quality products.

Interesting! They're not yet listed on the Soap Scent Review Board, are there any flavors you'd recommend to someone trying them out for the first time?

I see a "Dark Chocolate" in their Sampler pack. I still need a good dark chocolate. Everything I've tried so far is either just plain awful (HerbalSoapsbyRJ), coconut flavored (AH/RE), nutty brownie flavored (SS/NF) or fudgesicle (BCN). I'm desperate!! :tongue2:

Interesting! They're not yet listed on the Soap Scent Review Board, are there any flavors you'd recommend to someone trying them out for the first time?

I see a "Dark Chocolate" in their Sampler pack. I still need a good dark chocolate. Everything I've tried so far is either just plain awful (HerbalSoapsbyRJ), coconut flavored (AH/RE), nutty brownie flavored (SS/NF) or fudgesicle (BCN). I'm desperate!! :tongue2:

Mango and Peach are my biggest sellers.

Well, I played it simple.

Got good balm recommended here. Whatever you do, get a pre-sweetened flavor. God knows how I tried to incorporate sweeteners into 'unsweetened' flavors....want the list of sweeteners? You name it, I tried it. Gave up. Except for corn syrup...haven't tried that yet only because the thought of corn syrup sitting in my cupboard, solidifying, doing God knows what, never having another use for it....galls me.

I tried to keep my balms natural and corn syrup just didn't fit in there.

But then again, nothing else did either.

So I just label them as 'flavoring' added.

Do research here before you torment yourself.

Fern-Marie

There are a number of flavors that don't require sweetening. Many of the Ah/RE/ Lipbalmtubes.com flavors are fine without it.

I bought an ounce of MMS Sugar Kisses and have used it without a problem in about 200 balms so far. Still got half the bottle left too. :)

The sweetened flavors make things easy, but they'll cost you more in the end as well. It all depends on what you need and where you want to put your energy.

For the OP: Just Scent has cheap prices...I heard they're discontinuing them??? Might be an opportunity to grab some deals. I looked at 20 suppliers tonight and they're the cheapest I found. No entry for them on the SSRB though so caveat emptor.