Weight or volume?...sigh...

PeachyClean

OK, here goes my first official dumb newbie question...I've read that you are always supposed to do everything by weight but then see posts such as "the rule of thumb is to not add more than 2T additive to M&P base" or "try adding 1 tsp CO" - so, does that not mean whipping out the measuring spoons, pouring a teaspoon (or half teaspoon or whatever) and dropping it in the bowl? I would think these individuals are speaking in terms of volume when they talk about adding a teaspoon of this or half teaspoon of that.

I plan on starting out with small (1 lb) batches and other than weighing out the base and butters, I had planned to use a teaspoon here, half teaspoon there when adding various liquid oils and the FO.

Should I be experimenting a different way and doing everything by weight? I'm so confused!

:confused:

TIA!

for some reason additives are often measured by volume. for liquids this works out to about 5 grams per teaspoon (and thus 15 grams per tablespoon). I guess we do that because some additives are very fluffy and hard to weigh on the scales we have available.