Matching a soap batch bigger

Faye_SC

Are you wanting to know how to figure out the difference in the amount of you butters? While the soap calcs are great to use to figure amounts, I also think a person should know how to do it themselves in case a soap calc for some reason is not available.

Here's what I do (others may have their own way but this works for me). I convert my recipe to oz. So for a 4lb recipe, I convert that to 64 oz. (16 oz in a pound. 16*4=64 so there are 64 oz in 4 lbs.) Some people work in grams. With soap, I work in oz. Grams are great to work with when working with smaller amounts. It's a personal choice as to what you use.

If my recipe calls for 15% coconut oil, convert your % to a decimal (move your decimal point 2 spots to the left) so 15% in decimal form becomes .15 and multiply by the amount of your recipe or in this example 64.

So for 15% CO in a recipe with 64 oz of oil, you would need 9.6 oz. of CO (.15x64) If your recipe is 3 lbs or 48 oz, you would need 7.2 oz. (.15x48)

For an oil used at say 45%, that would be .45x64

For an oil used at 5% that would be .05 x 64

Then use this for the rest of your percentages. Once figured out, all your butter amounts should equal 100.

Example recipe

45% Olive Oil

30% Palm Oil

25% Coconut oil

If I wanted this recipe to be 4 lbs. I'd convert to oz and figure it this way:

.45 x 64 = 28.8 oz of OO

.30 x 64 = 19.2 oz of PO

.25 x 64 = 16 oz of CO

Total amounts = 64.

Run your numbers for your lye and water amounts and you are good to go. HTH.