Multibase EL 1

leenabug

Please tell me what not to do with this multibase. The supplier said just add equal amount of base and water for a body cream. Is this correct? I am scared to add the fo because all the warning that it would "melt" if I did it wrong. Please someone offer to help out.....................Is this correct: 8oz base, 8oz water and 1/2 oz fo. Do I just stir or do I "whip"? (What does that even mean/) lol! I just have 2 tubs of this , one in cocoa butter and one in goats milk..........if I mess it up i have nothing.....as I cannot get anymore........please walk me thru this. i can't find any posts that tell me exactly what to do, or else I am blind!

All it says is mix with water. no instructions on scent add. supplier said add only 1oz of scent per gallon? of cream/lotion or it will melt. But there are NO instructions on how to do this. If I hadn't read all the things on here about whip, cool, preservatives, etc, I would have just dumped it in a bowl added water, added a little scent, stirred it up, put in container and thought i was done. Now I am so unsure of myself........I think I read to much information on making it from scratch and don't know how to approach this simply. I just don't want to mess it up as I won't be able to get anymore for months. I make the trip to supplier only once or twice a year. I was gonna give some to my mom for Christmas, but want to know if it is something that can "ruin" if I don't do it right?:confused: People are usually so helpful, I thought for sure someone wouldn't mind telling me the steps to take since it is a multibase. That is not like asking for a recipe or secret is it?

This is getting more complicated the more I read. Now I found threads saying add WARM DISTILLED water! What? the multibase pkg.ing or supplier, neither said anything about that! Who makes multibase el 1? I could call them and find out what to do!

okay, now found something that said every thing I use to mix this up, bowl, table , spoon, everything...........must be sterile or germs will grow and multiple in it after I mix it up! GROAN.....I give up.....I thought buying a multibase meant I was buying a premade cream that I got to choose the scent of.............

I have never used a multibase before, but the name implies that this base has multiple uses, meaning it can be used as lotion or butter, etc. The difference between ending with a lotion or a butter is determined by the amount of distilled water you add to the base. If you want to find out who makes it, contact the supplier and ask them...they should be able to tell you that.

What I want you to do is, go back and read the lotionmaking 101 tutorial. Just do a search for it and it should come up at the end of the first page. This is just so you can get a feel for the process. And YES, YES, YES you must start with a sanitized environment AND you must use distilled water. It does your preservative no good if your product is not produced free of germs. For your water, you want to heat your water to 176 degrees and hold there for 20 minutes to kill any bacteria/germs that may be present. Did this base come with any written instructions from the manufacturer?

THANK YOU SO MUCH CHAUNA! That is exactly what I have been looking for! It explains more(about using a multibase) than anything I have found! No, my multibase did not come with directions, it doesn't even tell the ingrediants!

I have 2 more questions.........I don't know why I can't understand this, but when they keep saying add 1% or 2% fo to the base.......WHAT are they refering to? 1% of 1 pound? And is that after it is mixed with the water or just the multibase weight?

Next, do I have to add an oil? is it bad if I use only water? (I have no oils except coconut oil that I put in my candles?)

RSN or is it RNS, the whole lotion making 101 (making from scratch) overwhelms me. I think I am going to get thru this multibase thing, then STOP............take a breather and look at it all over again after the holidays. I would have to say the hardest part for me is understanding the ingrediants, they are things I have never even heard of before and not only that I have to understand what they do. With the candles atleast I knew what they were talking about when i started reading up on the "ingrediants"! The only thing I don't understand with the candles is why there is so many different wick "names" Sometimes they sound the same (cotton, etc) and I get confused as to what I am actually wanting to use......(cd, eco , htp, rrd, lx, 700 series, etc)

wow I am sorry ,but at this point the candles still seem easier! Don't hit me!:tongue2:

I just realized something ....! Its 1% of whatever I have .....right!? lol! I don't know why I didn't get that. With the candles I work off of 1oz per lb. and that is what I was thinking of, that I had to have 1% per ? .......but that is not how 1% of something works!!!lol! DUH! so if I have, say 32oz of cream, its 1% times 32oz = so I need approx. one third of an oz of fo? Thanks Chuana for the tip about the bleach, i am gonna try tonight!

I just realized something ....! Its 1% of whatever I have .....right!? lol! I don't know why I didn't get that. With the candles I work off of 1oz per lb. and that is what I was thinking of, that I had to have 1% per ? .......but that is not how 1% of something works!!!lol! DUH! so if I have, say 32oz of cream, its 1% times 32oz = so I need approx. one third of an oz of fo? Thanks Chuana for the tip about the bleach, i am gonna try tonight!

Think of your complete recipe as 100%, and every ingredient that goes into the recipe is part of that. The total of all of your ingredients should equal 100%.

1% = 1% of your total recipe.