Who makes votives with OK6228?

Fern

I wanted to use this wax because it's got such great scent throw in my tarts but whenever I try to wick this wax in pillars or votives they start out great but always drown out once I get a good melt pool going. I've tried wicking up...same thing. I don't use zinc wicks because I don't care for them so please don't suggest those, but I do have HTPs, CDs, LX and RRDs...a lot of them...in almost every size. I used 1.5 oz in this wax because it will hold it...and then some...without leeching out but think this could be the problem with the drowning wicks. I'll try them again with less FO but was curious if anyone else had trouble wicking this wax in pillars and votives.

Fern, I've made votives with this wax for 6 years - love it :). It was my first wax and the first type of candles I ever made.

I use a CD6 and it works just about perfectly everytime. Occasionally I can wick down to a CD5. I have to say that I don't have any drowning out issues, but I did with LX wicks and occasionally with zinc wicks. And yeah, I load my wax with FO too, which makes it harder to wick, but I don't care! I use 1-1/2 oz of FO pp on almost all my votives and pillars unless I have a scent that'll make you sick if you use that much.

At one time I also used cotton cored wicks; I think it was a 44 cotton. But they seemed too hot, whereas the CD6 seems perfect.

So make 4 or 5 votives and try a CD5, CD6 and CD7 and see what you think...

DanaE

I use the 6228 for both pillars and votives, and I do use zinc on my votives, and never have that drowning out problem. I use Flat and Square braid on my pillars, but they are still in the experimental stage for me. I am glad to know I can use 1.5oz pp as I was under the assumption ( I know I know...assume) that I could only use 1oz pp.. :grin2:

I use the 6228 for both pillars and votives, and I do use zinc on my votives, and never have that drowning out problem. I use Flat and Square braid on my pillars, but they are still in the experimental stage for me. I am glad to know I can use 1.5oz pp as I was under the assumption ( I know I know...assume) that I could only use 1oz pp.. :grin2:

Yeah, many times a manufacturer will say a certain wax can only hold 3% and yet it'll hold 6%. It's the same thing; I can get 1-1/2 ounces of FO pp into this wax with no separation unless I'm using a sweet scent. But adding a few pebbles of vybar or a few ounces of container/soy wax usually takes care of that problem.

Can you tell me which flat and square braid wicks you're using on the OK6228 pillars? I'm a wick freak and I'm always on the look out for other wicks to experiment with. Just let me know if you're using 3" around or 4" and which wicks you're testing? Thanks! (I tried an LX30, which is a flat braid if I remember correctly, and although it does okay, I'm sticking with my low smoke zinc 17's until I find something better).

DanaE