High vanilla content fo's seperating in my body butter WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

RNSandSCENTS

I have made 2 batches of Vanilla Bean Noel (WSP) and 1 batch of Pink Sugar (Peak), all three seperated terribly. Now I won't make anymore anytime soon because I need vanilla stabilizer to control the color issues but what do I do about the seperation? I have made six other batches using various fo's with no issues until these two. Is there some sort of secret to holding your batch together to avoid this problem when using fo's with a high vanilla content? I can feel my gray hair count increasing with each batch I put in the garbage. Someone please save me from the dye bottle!!!!:laugh2:

What percentage of FO are you putting in? Are you using a base or is it a home made butter?

I don't personally use any color stabilizers because its one more "additive or chemical" that is not necessary. It's just cosmetic.

I've also found that when I mix in FO while the lotion is warm, it does tend to separate, so I wait until it cools completely and then I blend it in. You can also let it sit for a bit, then try blending again. It sounds like you've got too much something in there.

What percentage of FO are you putting in? Are you using a base or is it a home made butter?

I don't personally use any color stabilizers because its one more "additive or chemical" that is not necessary. It's just cosmetic.

I've also found that when I mix in FO while the lotion is warm, it does tend to separate, so I wait until it cools completely and then I blend it in. You can also let it sit for a bit, then try blending again. It sounds like you've got too much something in there.

The 3 batches that seperated were made exactly the same way as the other 6 batches....only the batches containing a fo with vanilla seperated. The others are just fine, so that leads me to believe that there must be some sort of special way that these oils need to be incorporated into my batch. I will try another batch between clients today and see if it works when I allow it to cool down completely and then add the fo. I am using fo at 1% and adding preservative and fo below 130 degrees per recipe instructions.

Guest jurnalynn

i have made tons of batches of my lotion but for some reason when i used warm vanilla sugar it seperated and looked like a curdled mess so i haven't dared try the vanilla suagr again so if you know what caused yours to i would like to know

Thank you

Laura

Mine was a combination of heat and water loss. The last batch that I made today seperated and I got so frustrated that I laid down and took a nap after being up all night long wasting oils in seperated batches. So when I woke up from my power nap, I realized that the my good batches were losing more and more weight.....water! So I boiled more water, heated up my seperated snot, just a tad and added the water at the same temp, stick blended and it came back to life! I did wait till my butter was about room temperature to add the preservative and fo. Now just waiting to see if they all hold! HTH