Stand Mixer Ideal Wattage

Judy, USMC

I read the stand mixer on a limited budget thread, very interesting! Started doing some research and found stand mixers (various brands) from 200 up through 500+ watts.

I've searched past threads and the archives and haven't found the answer to the following questions.

For those of you who have mixers that have worked well for a long time - what wattage has worked the best for you? What is the minimum wattage would you recommend?

Judy I dont know what the wattage is on it but you couldnt take my Kitchenaid away for anything! I burnt up two other stand mixers before I got this one and I can really see what all the KA fuss is about! Spring for it and you will never be sorry!!!:highfive:

Been doing some research the past few days. On the Kitchen Aid mixers the wattage is related to the bowl size. The larger capacity of the bowl - the higher wattage rating of the mixer.

That makes sense; it would take more power to mix a large amount of a heavy dough. So basing a purchase only on the wattage of a KA is not always practical. I wouldn't need a 525 watt Pro6 if I were just working with lotion (cake batter) consistencies. But that much power would be needed to power through a large batch of a B&B product that would be more like a dense bread dough.

On the other thread (about affordable stand mixers) they mentioned the KA at Costco which is 475 watts. Found an Accolade is 400 watts and an Artisan is 325. I'm thinking of doing mostly lotions and possibly some scrubs so I'm leaning toward the Accolade. Seems most of the motor burn out problems stem from trying to get a lower watt mixer trying to power through a thich formula.

Also discovered that a high wattage (with other brands) does not necessarily follow the same rule. Their internal gearing may be different. Their brand may need to use 500 watts to equal the power delivered by a 400 watt KA.

OK - can you tell I've way over-thought this? :waiting: I'm not a baker so it took a lot of reading for this to sink in! Probably won't be doing anything in the B&B line but then you never know. I thought this would be the biggest equipment espenditure - so it would be a good place to start figuring how much investment it would take.