What do you think of this recipe?

Firefly

Hello,

I have a tried and true base recipe (that includes palm oil) I like that I've tweaked here and there without problems.

Just ran out of palm oil last night and so have lots of soybean shortening (I bought it awhile ago and it's a veggie mix but I didn't keep the box it came in so have no idea exactly what that combination is), rice bran oil, some almond oil, jojoba oil, palm kernel oil, castor oil, olive oil, sunflower oil.

This is the recipe I came up with and wondered if it's alright? I ran it through soap calc.

17% almond oil

20% rice bran oil

20% coconut oil

20% palm kernel oil

20% soybean veggie shortening

3% castor oil

Thanks to CareBear for posting a link to QuietGirl's recipe as I may try that one instead but will sub the safflower for almond and olive for Rice Bran oil.

QuietGirl mentions palm kernel flakes which I've never used and I'm guessing palm kernel oil is the same thing.

Palm kernel oil & flakes are the same - just the format of the flakes is easier to work with than melting and mixing up the whole jug or block of palm kernel oil each time.

The fatty acid profiles for the SAO & the safflower are quite different, but the anticipated results are really similar so I'd think it would be a reasonable sub. and RBO & OO are reasonably interchangeable as well.

PLEASE let me know how you like your version. I don't have almond oil in the house cause my kids are allergic to almonds (among other nuts & peanuts) so I won't be able to experiment with that myself - but I'm always curious!

the QG recipe is my favorite and gets rave reviews even from established soapers with whom I've shared my soaps!

CareBear,

Thanks for the input. I think what I'll do it try both out and see what happens and post results here.

SAO isn't one I always use as I know people have nut allergies but sometimes I get a good deal on it. I read all the posts on the QuietGirl link and everyone had rave reviews so am looking forward to trying it.