I think I killed my FO :(

Skiminims

So I cooked up my second batch today.

I used one pound of SFIC Goats Milk base, a tsp of castor oil and a tablespoon of FO (Pineapple Coconut from CandleScience)

I used the double boiler method, the water in my big pot never got hot enough to boil. I let it get hot enough to melt my base then turned my heat off. I let it set a little while until there was a light film then added my Castor oil and FO. I stirred gently enough to get all the oils blended in.

I let it set for another couple mins then poured into my molds.

Problem is, I can't smell the FO very good in the bars. :( I had a moronic moment and never thought to bust out the thermometer and see how hot the base got.

Is there a general guideline of what temp to add the FO in so it doesn't "burn off"?

Its still setting up so maybe we'll see after I unmold. Has anyone else used this FO? Is it very strong when you used it? Do I need to add more than a tablespoon?

:confused: Any advice would be awesome!

I don't gauge mine by temperature...I just remove it from the heat source as soon as the last piece has melted.

If your soap isn't finished setting up, that may be why you aren't smelling anything :-) I don't usually get a nice aroma from mine until it's completely set up, unmolded and reaches room temp. (I stick mine in the freezer to help it unmold easier).

How much FO did you use?

A "Tablespoon" means different things to different people. Try weighing all additives instead.

One ounce of FO to each pound of base is the baseline for most oils, but make sure that's the amount suggested by CS first or you may end up with overly light or heavy scented bars.

IMO One ounce is a lot for 1 lb. I start with a tablespoon and work up if I think it needs more. I tried 1 oz and the soap was seeping. The fo is that last thing I add to my base by then it's cooled down quite a bit.

That's what I was thinking too. Of all the things I've read on this forum, most people start at a tablespoon and don't go above 1/2 oz pp.

Once the bars cooled, the FO improved a lot. I'm happy with how they turned out. The sweet pea FO I used on my first batch was just not as strong as what I would like. I used a tablespoon then too, so I think the next time I use that FO I'll only add an extra tsp to that and see how it turns out.

Thanks for the input!

I generally do about .2oz per pound. I always weigh out all of my ingredients. I'd say about 1-2% FO load for MP soaps will give you a nice outcome. Any more for me and I risk ruining my molds sometimes. I've done that to one tray for sure. I also have a couple of spinningleaf molds that have bubbled on me.

A rule of thumb? I normally heat to about 160-170. Let it cool until about 145 at min. and pour. I always get great smelling soap. :)

I generally do about .2oz per pound. I always weigh out all of my ingredients. I'd say about 1-2% FO load for MP soaps will give you a nice outcome. Any more for me and I risk ruining my molds sometimes. I've done that to one tray for sure. I also have a couple of spinningleaf molds that have bubbled on me.

A rule of thumb? I normally heat to about 160-170. Let it cool until about 145 at min. and pour. I always get great smelling soap. :)

Thanks Jade! Next time I'll have my thermometer out for sure. I was curious about what temperature is good for pouring so you answered my question :)