Reference for oils

botanica

I am in the same position! Just gathering and gathering and copy/pasting everything but I am on information overload. LOL!!:D

Which lye calculator are you using? I really like the one from Snowdrift Farm. It's the easiest for me to use so far. There are so many recipes out there and so much to learn. I'm actually taking the dive into cp soap, which has been a goal of mine for a while, so I'm a little proud of myself! I've always been a little intimidated by it, but I'm going with my forward momentum and trusting that everything will be alright if I'm smart. (:

I am using soapcal9. I have to be sure to check out the one your using.

I have been wanting to do this for some time too. I have done M and P soap but for me its not a challenge anymore and I feel like I am cheating when it comes to soap making. But it was great to start out with and wet my feet so to speak. I am hoping to buy my supplies in a couple of weeks. I have to drive over an hour just to get my hands on some lye around here. LOL!! Be sure to post how your first attempt goes along with pictures. would love to see it!

If you have a Lowe's, they carry a drain opener that's 100% sodium hydroxide, sorry I can't think of the name off the top of my head. That's where I got mine--and I really like not having to pay shipping. Another thing I discovered is that wholefoods carries a palm oil made by "Jungle", that's organic and environmentally friendly. I never knew it, but I guess the production of palm oil is seriously threatening oranguatans. I read about it at our local zoo, and they said that if things don't change, orguantans could be wiped out within 10 years. So, I'm buying all my oils online except that one. Spectrum makes another safe palm oil, in case you're interested. They're a little more expensive, but for me it's worth it. It'll be a talking point with customers too, I think. I ordered wooden molds today on ebay. I was really stuck between wooden and no-liner plastic molds. I decided to try to keep it simple. Well, good luck with your first pour and maybe let us know how it goes.