Soap Qualities Numbers

diamondk

What range of numbers would constitute a good soap? I am trying to learn how to use the sooz calculator and I am getting confused. I read that the linoleic should be 17 or higher for the conditioning part of the soap. I am trying to figure out what I should be looking for in these numbers. TIA

Hey Sherie, I am still confused even with searching the archives and seeing everyone opinions on what each of these should be. I guess I will stay confused and not do anything until I really understand these numbers. :)

When I began soaping, I placed a lot of importance on the numbers. But the more I soap, the more I realize that it's just as important to consider properties of oils and how the combination of oils feels on your skin. Some of the more experienced soapers I've asked about it (like Lizzy) do just that. When you begin, you just have to plunge in there. It's just like making candles, just do it and the more you do it the better you get. I hope this helps rather than confuses, lol. BTW, if you are looking in the archives for numbers, look to the really experienced soapers and then just go with one of them.

Hey Sherie, I am still confused even with searching the archives and seeing everyone opinions on what each of these should be. I guess I will stay confused and not do anything until I really understand these numbers. :)

I don't really worry about the numbers. You want your soap to be cleansing, conditioning and hard, so you need oils that will contribute to those qualities. The only number that I am really concerned with is the overall iodine. That number is indicative of the hardness of the finished bar. The lower the number, the harder the bar. Mine are usually in the 60's-70's range.

e