Question RE: CP Soap

BlackCrow

Hi!

I am wanting to get into making CP soap. Have always done M&P soap and now want to try something more challenging. At the moment I have been just gathering all the information I can get about the whole process.

I have read on here many times that you can use real food in your CP soap like pumpkin and carrot????

I was wondering two things on this, first, when you use something like carrot or cucumber do you shred it to a pulp?? The pumpkin I am assuming i can use the canned stuff.

My second question how long of a shelf life would your soap have if you are using real food in it??? Does it not rot?

Also....is there a perservative I should be putting in the CP soap so that it has a long shelf life???

Thank you so much for your help!:D

Hi!

I have read on here many times that you can use real food in your CP soap like pumpkin and carrot????

Yes, that is true! :smiley2:

I was wondering two things on this, first, when you use something like carrot or cucumber do you shred it to a pulp?? The pumpkin I am assuming i can use the canned stuff.

Yes, you'll want to puree the bejeebees out of the carrot and cucumbers so that no chunks remain. It should look like the consistency of baby food, or pureed pumpkin from a can. Chunks of food can get moldy from what I've heard from other soapers who have had that happen to them. They've never had that problem with pureed, though.

My second question how long of a shelf life would your soap have if you are using real food in it??? Does it not rot?

If you puree it well so that no chunks remain, it should last a long time. Before I tried using pureed food in my own soap last month, I read extensively about it on different soaping forums, and many soapers wrote of having foodie soap bars going on 3 and 4 years old with no problems. My first ever pureed avocado soap with cucumber juice is 6 weeks old now and is as fresh as the day I made it. I also have soap made from strained carrot juice that is a year old and still doing great.

Also....is there a perservative I should be putting in the CP soap so that it has a long shelf life???

Nope. No preservative needed. :) The particular pH of finished CP soap is such that preservatives are pretty much redundant. I've never used any and don't know of any that do (not that there aren't some out there that do).

Thank you so much for your help!:D

You're welcome! :smiley2:

MarieJeanette