coloring candles

I haven't colored my candles for years now and I've got an order for black patchouli candles. I can't remember will adding color to these make a dfference in the wick size. I will be testing myself but if anyone could giving me a starting size in wick it sure would help. I'm thinking maybe a CD 16 seeing I normally use a CD 12 - 14 in this jar.

Jar 3"

wax C 3

wick CD size ????

scent patchouli (from Peaks @ 8% FO load)

tia Cindy/WI

Hi Cindy, what type of dye are you using? I tried doing black in my soy for a layered "Harley" type candle and couldn't get any darker than a slate grey with liquid and that was with a heck of a lot of dye. I've never used the chips though so maybe someone else would be able to help you if you use chips.

I'm using Dry Crystals from CC (pitch black/dark gray) and your right I used a lot of these and they came out black but with a hint of gray to them. I don't think I want to use any more than what I did b/c I don't think they'll burn right. I'll just have to explain to my customer that plain black is a really hard color to get. I do have some Pryme Color /Black I wonder if it would give me a better black??? Anyone know about that???

Hi Cindy, what type of dye are you using? I tried doing black in my soy for a layered "Harley" type candle and couldn't get any darker than a slate grey with liquid and that was with a heck of a lot of dye. I've never used the chips though so maybe someone else would be able to help you if you use chips.

Yeah that's the main reason I stopped using color a long time ago. I did make up 2 testers and so far I don't see a lot of frost on them but like you said in time I'm sure it will show up. Bummer!!!

I wouldnt even attempt it using C3. Tell the customer, soy wax is too opaque to get a solid black. also the frosting issues will ruin the color later on.