Can I use this wax?

Where I work we make patterns using wax which are the first of many stages to make blades for aircraft engines and turbines. We use various types of wax from very brittle green wax, soft blue, softer red, hard purple and others.

I noticed on one of the boxes after a delivery the wax contains "Bisphenol A" and was labelled as an irritant.

Now, I don't want to make any candles for indoor use, only for outside in the open air during the evenings.

I plan to make a bucket-sized candle with a large wick that would throw a fair amount of localised light.

What I'd like to know is are there any additives available that can be added to deter insects and would I have to add anything else to help the burning process like paraffin?

There are a few others on this board that are from the UK. They can probably direct you to a good source for wax where shipping won't be so bad for you.

I suggest you also read alot of the old threads. There is a ton of useful info to get you started. There is more to this than just melting wax and plopping a wick in.

Good to see that you are interested in making candles. I have to admit that I was wondering. :)

Yeah I was already kinda thinking the wax at work wasn't suitable although someone at work has tried it and said it works but I wouldn't want to release bisphenol a into the air indoors.

I've been browsing through some of the topics and plan to read around quite a bit more.

Luckily I've got loads of spare time with my job so I'll be reading up when I'm not managine websites and playing Battlefield 2.