Well...what happened here?

ah-soy

I've been tinkering with a new body butter recipe (no water, just butters, oils and wax).

Two nights ago, I made a test recipe and let it sit 24 hours. It was a bit soft for my taste so to add a little firmness I added more cocoa butter, melted everything down, mixed it up well and let it sit another 24 hrs...but now it's thinner!...liquidy...much like a cream soup. Before the cocoa butter was added it was semi-thick like a salve. How the heck can adding more cocoa butter make it thinner?

Any guesses?

My guess would be because you remelted the emulsion down. Try another small test batch with the extra cocoa Butter and see whatcha get.

hmmm - but it's not really an emulsification - no water.

I'd say that wait another 24-48 hours and see - cocoa butter can take FOREVER to set up.

ahhhhhhhhhhh...missed the part NO WATER.

But I have never had cocoa butter take forever to set up. I usually let my lotions set over night like she did and they are the consistency that they are gonna be. Sort of like if I melt my whipped shea back down...it is never the same.

CareBear, you were right...I waited a couple of more days and now the thickness is very nice! I had no idea cocoa butter was so slow to thicken up...I usually use shea and hemp butters, a mix of oils and a little candillia wax...this was my maiden voyage with cocoa! I also used soy wax in the recipe and I believe it's a keeper! Rich and thick, soaks right in, not greasy and the soy leaves a very smooth protective layer. I was going for a recipe for very dry, cracked skin and this may be it. :yay: I do a lotion stick in a tube, but also wanted something I could put in a small jar or tin

I'm sending it out to testers this week...

Thanks everyone for your input!